Treadmill vs Free Running: Which is Better for Your Health?

• Thread starter bennyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Running
In summary: I guess. :PI've had this discussion before with a (non-scientist) flatmate. He walks two and a half miles to the gym, goes on the treadmill for 30mins then comes back (he does other stuff but the treadmill is the issue). I keep telling him he would be better off running to the gym and back to save money but he insists the treadmill is better for him.It can be better for the knees and all those other parts that hurt after a run, especially if he's heavy.... but going for a jog with the beagle is about 1000x more fun-- there's no arguing
bennyboy
Hi, guys. I'm currently debating the value of treadmills on a health forum.

It seems to me that once a treadmill is at speed, running on it will be (disregarding windfriction and an inability to turn, ever), basically the same mechanic as running over a flat "ground," with the same relative velocity.

The guy I am discussing it with gave a lengthy discussion about overcoming friction, moments of inertia etc. But it seems to me that relative motion is relative motion, and that's basically that.

Am I dumb?

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi bennyboy! welcome to pf! :wink:
bennyboy said:
… it seems to me that relative motion is relative motion, and that's basically that.

exactly! :smile:

it's all relative … it's the same as running on a train that's going backward at the same speed!

the only difference (apart, as you say, from wind resistance) would be the extra advantage of the slight springiness of the treadmill

having said that … isn't running on the ground better, since since it actually gets you somewhere? o:)

being a fat ( beer?) middle age guy..I returned to a daily run..am up to 2 miles in 20 minutes..on a tread mill..the motorized hi tech thing is great...and being old..it is easier on the stress impact then the road..plus no pot holes. ruts, vehicles with texting drivers, dogs, etc...same results..i feel great..gotta go get a beer...

having said that … isn't running on the ground better, since since it actually gets you somewhere?

I prefer hiking, however sometimes being able to put specific numbers to the activity is useful for checking progress. :)

i feel great..gotta go get a beer...
lol got to have a 6-pack one way or the other, I guess. :P

I've had this discussion before with a (non-scientist) flatmate. He walks two and a half miles to the gym, goes on the treadmill for 30mins then comes back (he does other stuff but the treadmill is the issue). I keep telling him he would be better off running to the gym and back to save money but he insists the treadmill is better for him.

It exasperates me trying to convince him otherwise.

I started using the treadmill for the practical benefits, like beeping timers, the ability to set a specific speed, and proximity to girls in tight clothing. :)

Treadmills are definitely useful, due to your ability to control aspects of your physical environment that you can't in real life-- but going for a jog with the beagle is about 1000x more fun-- there's no arguing that!

ryan_m_b said:
I've had this discussion before with a (non-scientist) flatmate. He walks two and a half miles to the gym, goes on the treadmill for 30mins then comes back (he does other stuff but the treadmill is the issue). I keep telling him he would be better off running to the gym and back to save money but he insists the treadmill is better for him.

It exasperates me trying to convince him otherwise.
It can be better for the knees and all those other parts that hurt after a run, especially if he's heavy.

bennyboy said:
...but going for a jog with the beagle is about 1000x more fun-- there's no arguing that!
I'll argue against it. The claim that it's boring to run on a treadmill has never made any sense to me. It's the running that's boring, not the treadmill. The only time I was on a treadmill and wished that I had been outside was when the TV was showing Jersey shore. I had never seen it before, and it was quite painful to watch.

What are the main differences between treadmills and free running?

The main difference between treadmills and free running is that treadmills are stationary exercise machines, while free running involves moving through an outdoor environment. Treadmills also have a flat, consistent surface, while free running involves navigating through varying terrain. Additionally, treadmills provide a controlled and predictable workout, while free running requires more focus and agility to adapt to changing conditions.

Which one is better for cardiovascular health?

Both treadmills and free running can provide a good cardiovascular workout, but it ultimately depends on the individual's preferences and fitness goals. Treadmills offer a more controlled and consistent workout, which can be beneficial for beginners or those with specific health concerns. However, free running may provide a more challenging and dynamic workout, which can help improve overall cardiovascular endurance.

Can you burn the same amount of calories on a treadmill as you can with free running?

The number of calories burned on a treadmill versus free running can vary depending on factors such as speed, incline, and intensity. Generally, free running may burn more calories due to the added challenge of navigating through different terrain and using more muscles. However, a treadmill can be adjusted to mimic the intensity of free running and can still provide a significant calorie burn.

Which one is better for building leg muscles?

Both treadmills and free running can help build leg muscles, but free running may be more effective in this regard. Free running involves using a variety of muscles to navigate through different terrain and obstacles, while a treadmill primarily engages the leg muscles used for walking or running. However, a treadmill can be adjusted to simulate inclines and provide a more challenging leg workout.

Is one option safer than the other?

Both treadmills and free running have their own potential risks. Treadmills can pose a risk for falls or injuries if not used properly, while free running carries the risk of tripping or falling while navigating through outdoor environments. It is important to use caution and proper form when using either option to prevent potential injuries.