1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triangle inequality for complex numbers: sketch of proof

1. Feb 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that if [itex]z_1,z_2 \in \mathbb{C}[/itex] then [itex] |z_1+z_2| \leq |z_1| + |z_2|[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Above.

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried by explicit calculation, with obvious notation for [itex]a,b[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex]: my frist claim is not that the triangle inequality holds, just that I don't know to put a ? above the [itex] \leq [/itex] symbol

[itex] \sqrt{a} \leq \sqrt{b} + \sqrt{c} \rightarrow 0 \leq \sqrt{b}
    + \sqrt{c} - \sqrt{a} \rightarrow 0 \leq \frac{b+c+2\sqrt{b}\sqrt{c} - a}{\sqrt{b}+\sqrt{c}+\sqrt{a}}[/itex]
    Now if [itex]z_1 = x_1 + i y_1[/itex] and [itex]z_2=x_2+iy_2[/itex]

and using again the conjugate of the roots expresion, the last equation is something like

[itex] 0\leq f(x_1^2,x_2^2,y_1^2,y_2^2)[/itex]

and so is true. can this be correct or may I write explicitly all the terms?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I really don't think that's going anywhere. You should use complex conjugates to express the absolute values. [itex]|z|^2=z \bar{z}[/itex]. Start from [itex]|z_1+z_2|^2=(z_1+z_2) (\bar{z_1} + \bar{z_2})[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook