Tricky(?) resistance question in a series circuit

In summary, two resistances, R1 and R2, are connected in series with a 12V battery. When R2 is removed, the current increases by 0.450 A. When R1 is removed, the current increases by 0.225 A.
exi

Homework Statement

Two resistances, R1 and R2, are connected in series with a 12V battery. When R2 is removed (leaving R1 only), the current increases by 0.450 A.

When R1 is removed (leaving R2 only), the current increases by 0.225 A.

What are the two resistances?

Homework Equations

[tex]V = IR[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to solve this algebraically, but I keep ending at a point with three unknowns and no realistic way to solve them. The fact that the current bumps are at a 1:2 ratio suggests that something similar should happen with the resistors, but hell if I know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org
exi said:
I've tried to solve this algebraically, but I keep ending at a point with three unknowns and no realistic way to solve them.

What are the three unknowns? What equations are they in? Can you please show me what you have so far? According to the rules you have to show some work to get helped here, and it'll help me know where exactly your stuck in this problem.

Last edited:
G01 said:
What are the three unknowns? What equations are they in? Can you please show me what you have so far? According to the rules you have to show some work to get helped here, and it'll help me know where exactly your stuck in this problem.

Seems like I'm making this a little excessively difficult, but I'm going with the assumption that the whole circuit is V=IR.

So from that, in scenario #1, V = (I+0.450)(R-R2), which factors out to:
12 = IR - IR2 + 0.450R - 0.450R2

Scenario #2, V = (I+0.225)(R-R1), or:
12 = IR - IR1 + 0.225R - 0.225R1.

With three unknowns in each equation, it just feels like I'm going about this the wrong way.

Try focusing on the main parts:
exi said:
So from that, in scenario #1, V = (I+0.450)(R-R2)

Scenario #2, V = (I+0.225)(R-R1)

Remembering that V=12V, and R-R2=R1, R-R1=R2, and writing a 3rd equation that relates 12V, I and R1 and R2, do you have enough equations to solve for the unknown resistances and currents now?

It seems like berkeman has already helped you, but I did say I would help and I am a man of my word!:approve: So, even if I am just echoing berkeman, here goes.

You have two equations and three unknowns. It looks to me like what you need is another equation, or a way to get rid of one of the unknowns. I'm going to go for the former. Here's my hint: What about the original circuit with two resistors? Can you analyze this to get more information?

hrm... I'm really not catching on to the best way to simplify this a bit more (V = IR? 12 = I(R1+R2)? etc...) Of an entire assignment of similar questions, this is the only one I'm missing.

exi said:
hrm... I'm really not catching on to the best way to simplify this a bit more (V = IR? 12 = I(R1+R2)? etc...) Of an entire assignment of similar questions, this is the only one I'm missing.

Ok you said it!

You now have:

12=I(R1+R2)

12 = IR - IR2 + 0.450R - 0.450R2

12 = IR - IR1 + 0.225R - 0.225R1

Here are 3 equations with 3 unknowns. You should be able to solve for all three now.

Gotcha, thanks.

1. What is a series circuit?

A series circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the components are connected in a single loop, with the same current passing through each component. This means that the components are connected one after the other, rather than branching out into multiple paths.

2. How does resistance work in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the total resistance is equal to the sum of the individual resistances of each component. This means that as more resistors are added in a series, the total resistance of the circuit increases, and as resistors are removed, the total resistance decreases.

3. What happens to current in a series circuit when resistance increases?

In a series circuit, as resistance increases, the current decreases. This is because the current has to pass through all of the components in the circuit, so as the resistance increases, it becomes more difficult for the current to flow.

4. How does voltage affect resistance in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, as voltage increases, the resistance also increases. This is because voltage is directly proportional to the current in a series circuit, so as the voltage increases, the current also increases, making it more difficult for the current to flow through the resistors.

5. How can I calculate the total resistance in a series circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a series circuit, you can simply add up the individual resistances of each component. For example, if you have three resistors with values of 10 ohms, 20 ohms, and 30 ohms, the total resistance would be 10 + 20 + 30 = 60 ohms.