Trig equations with multiple angles

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding all solutions to the expression sin(a \theta) - sin(b \theta) = 0, where a and b are integers with a > b. The conversation includes the use of regular rotations and the family of solutions a \theta = b \theta + 2k' \pi to find solutions, as well as a discussion on finding specific elements of the solution set.
GregA

Homework Statement

What I'm scratching my head with is trying to find mechanically, a way of finding all the solutions of the expression [tex]sin(a \theta ) - sin(b \theta) = 0[/tex] (where a and b are integers (for now) with a > b)

Homework Equations

I can get the roots that are regular rotations from a specific starting angle by first solving [tex]a \theta = \pi - b \theta[/tex] and then by letting all subsequent values of [tex] \theta = \frac{(1+2k) \pi}{a+b}[/tex] (where k is any integer)...it is also easy to spot that [tex]\theta = n \pi[/tex] (where n is an integer)

The Attempt at a Solution

what I'm having trouble with is finding quickly the sneaky roots such as [tex]\theta = \frac{2 \pi}{3} or \frac{4 \pi}{3} [/tex] in the expression [tex] sin4 \theta - sin \theta = 0[/tex](amongst others, though this is the question that I started with) that aren't found with the above method.

I have tried to expand [tex] sin4 \theta - sin \theta = 0[/tex] but after:

[tex] 2sin2\theta cos2\theta - sin\theta = 0[/tex]
[tex] 4sin\theta cos\theta (cos^2\theta - sin^2\theta ) - sin\theta = 0[/tex]
[tex] 4cos\theta (2cos^2\theta - 1 ) -1 = 0[/tex]
[tex] 8cos^3\theta - 4cos\theta - 1 = 0[/tex] I can't see a simple way of solving it without using either Newton's method, the cubic formula (there must surely be a simpler way than that though), or getting the protractor out and searching for them.

I'm betting there is a simple method and either I just can't remember it or have not come across it yet...can anyone throw me some hints?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You could try for something a little less fancy:

[tex]\sin(\theta)=\sin(\phi)[/tex]
means that
[tex]\theta=\phi + 2 \pi n[/tex]
or
[tex]\theta=\pi - \phi + 2 \pi n[/tex]

right?

GregA said:

Homework Statement

What I'm scratching my head with is trying to find mechanically, a way of finding all the solutions of the expression [tex]sin(a \theta ) - sin(b \theta) = 0[/tex] (where a and b are integers (for now) with a > b)

Homework Equations

I can get the roots that are regular rotations from a specific starting angle by first solving [tex]a \theta = \pi - b \theta[/tex]

You forget the family (?, wonder if this is used correctly) of solution:
[tex]a \theta = b\theta + 2k' \pi \Rightarrow \theta = \frac{2k' \pi}{a - b}[/tex]
and then by letting all subsequent values of [tex] \theta = \frac{(1+2k) \pi}{a+b}[/tex] (where k is any integer)...it is also easy to spot that [tex]\theta = n \pi[/tex] (where n is an integer)

No, that's not correct. [tex]\frac{1 + 2k}{a + b}[/tex] does not mean that it's a natural number, or even an integer. And, nor does [tex]\frac{2k'}{a - b}[/tex]. Say, we have k = 1, and a = 3, b = 1? [tex]\frac{1 + 2k}{a + b} = \frac{1 + 2}{3 + 1} = \frac{3}{4} \notin \mathbb{Z}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

what I'm having trouble with is finding quickly the sneaky roots such as [tex]\theta = \frac{2 \pi}{3} or \frac{4 \pi}{3} [/tex] in the expression [tex] sin4 \theta - sin \theta = 0[/tex](amongst others, though this is the question that I started with) that aren't found with the above method.

I have tried to expand [tex] sin4 \theta - sin \theta = 0[/tex] but after:

[tex] 2sin2\theta cos2\theta - sin\theta = 0[/tex]
[tex] 4sin\theta cos\theta (cos^2\theta - sin^2\theta ) - sin\theta = 0[/tex]
[tex] 4cos\theta (2cos^2\theta - 1 ) -1 = 0[/tex]

You've dropped the solution [tex]\sin \theta = 0[/tex], when moving from the former line to the later one.

[tex] 8cos^3\theta - 4cos\theta - 1 = 0[/tex] I can't see a simple way of solving it without using either Newton's method, the cubic formula (there must surely be a simpler way than that though), or getting the protractor out and searching for them.

I'm betting there is a simple method and either I just can't remember it or have not come across it yet...can anyone throw me some hints?

Well, you can see NateTG's post, if you want to have a neater version of it. :)

Last edited:
NateTG said:

means that
or

right?

VietDao29 said:
You forget the family (?, wonder if this is used correctly) of solution:
[tex]a \theta = b\theta + 2k' \pi \Rightarrow \theta = \frac{2k' \pi}{a - b}[/tex]
agh, I knew it was something simple!...I forgot the family: [tex]a \theta = b\theta + 2k' \pi \Rightarrow \theta = \frac{2k' \pi}{a - b}[/tex] :grumpy::smile::smile: cheers!

VietDao29 said:
No, that's not correct. [tex]\frac{1 + 2k}{a + b}[/tex] does not mean that it's a natural number, or even an integer. And, nor does [tex]\frac{2k'}{a - b}[/tex]. Say, we have k = 1, and a = 3, b = 1? [tex]\frac{1 + 2k}{a + b} = \frac{1 + 2}{3 + 1} = \frac{3}{4} \notin \mathbb{Z}[/tex]
hmm...that wasn't what I was saying...I meant just that you fling integers into k and get an answer, not that the resulting fraction is an integer.

VietDao29 said:
You've dropped the solution [tex]\sin \theta = 0[/tex], when moving from the former line to the later one.
agh...true! :redface:

Thankyou Viet Dao

Last edited:
NateTG said:

means that
or

right?

Cheers for the reply but I was looking for a way to find specific elements of the solution set namely [tex]\frac {2n\pi}{3}[/tex] but it has been pointed out to me what I didn't do :)

1. How do you solve trig equations with multiple angles?

To solve trig equations with multiple angles, you can use the identities and properties of trigonometric functions, such as the double angle and half angle formulas, to simplify the equation into a single angle. Then, you can solve for the variable using inverse trigonometric functions.

2. What are the common types of trig equations with multiple angles?

Some common types of trig equations with multiple angles include equations involving sum and difference identities, product identities, and equations with multiple trig functions.

3. Can you give an example of solving a trig equation with multiple angles?

For example, to solve the equation sin(2x) = cos(3x), we can use the double angle formula for sine to rewrite sin(2x) as 2sin(x)cos(x). Then, we can use the sum identities for cosine to rewrite cos(3x) as cos(2x + x) = cos(2x)cos(x) - sin(2x)sin(x). This simplifies the equation to 2sin(x)cos(x) = cos(2x)cos(x) - sin(2x)sin(x). From here, we can use algebraic techniques to solve for x.

4. How can I check my solution for a trig equation with multiple angles?

You can check your solution by substituting it back into the original equation and verifying that both sides are equal. You can also use a calculator or graphing tool to graph the original equation and your solution, and see if they intersect at the same point.

5. Are there any tips for solving trig equations with multiple angles?

Some tips for solving trig equations with multiple angles include familiarizing yourself with the identities and properties of trig functions, rewriting the equation into a single angle, and checking your solution by substitution or graphing. It is also helpful to practice and become comfortable with solving various types of trig equations.