How do you simplify trig identities with cosθ + sinθ = √2 cos(θ-∏/4)?

In summary, to get from cosθ + sinθ to √2 cos(θ-∏/4), you can expand cos(θ-∏/4) using the trigonometric identity cos(A-B) = (cos A)(cos B) + (sin A)(sin B) and then use the formula Acos(θ)+Bsin(θ)=√(A^2+B^2)cos(θ-φ) with φ=arctan(B/A).
weirdobomb
cosθ + sinθ = √2 cos(θ-∏/4)

what are the steps in between?

Physics news on Phys.org
Expand cos(θ-∏/4). What do you get?

ehild

But how would I get from cosθ + sinθ to √2 cos(θ-∏/4)
I can expand and get the original expression but don't understand the other way around.

Last edited:
Multiply and divide by ##\sqrt{2}##.

weirdobomb said:
I can expand and get the original expression but don't understand the other way around.
Expand cos(θ-/4) means to apply the well-known :smile: trig expansion cos (A - B) = (cos A)(cos B) + (sin A)(sin B)

This formula (along with a few others) should be well-known by the time you sit for your next closed-book exam. :wink:

weirdobomb said:
Are you saying that you can get from
[itex]\sqrt{2} \cos \left( \theta - \frac{\pi}{4} \right)[/itex]
to
[itex]\cos \theta + \sin \theta[/itex]
but not the other way around? Just take the steps you get from the RHS to the LHS and go backwards.

Write [tex]Acos(\theta)+Bsin(\theta)=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}(\frac{A}{\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}cos(\theta)+\frac{B}{\sqrt{A^2+B^2}}sin(\theta))[/tex]

Then let [itex]\phi=\arctan{\frac{B}{A}}[/itex]
Then,[tex]Acos(\theta)+Bsin(\theta)=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}(cos(\phi)cos(\theta)+sin(\phi)sin(\theta))=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}cos(\theta-\phi)[/tex]

Related to How do you simplify trig identities with cosθ + sinθ = √2 cos(θ-∏/4)?

1. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved. It is used to simplify and solve trigonometric equations.

2. What are the most commonly used trigonometric identities?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities are the Pythagorean identities (sin^2x + cos^2x = 1), the double angle identities (sin2x = 2sinx cosx), and the sum and difference identities (sin(x+y) = sinx cosy + cosx siny).

3. How are trigonometric identities useful in solving equations?

Trigonometric identities allow us to simplify complex equations and express them in terms of known trigonometric functions. This makes it easier to solve for unknown variables and find solutions to the equations.

4. Can trigonometric identities be derived from other identities?

Yes, trigonometric identities can be derived from other identities using algebraic manipulation and properties of trigonometric functions. This is often done to simplify a particular equation or to prove a certain identity.

5. How can I remember and apply trigonometric identities?

Practice and repetition are key to remembering and applying trigonometric identities. It also helps to understand the concepts behind the identities and how they are derived. Creating flashcards or mnemonic devices can also aid in memorization.