1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig. identities method problem

1. Oct 19, 2006 #1
    I've been struggling with the followings equations (I know that can be solved by Trig. identities method) and I tried almost everything but I can't get them right.
    the equations are the following:
    -Tab*cos(alpha)+Tbc*cos(beta) = 0 (eq.1)
    We know the angular values for alpha and beta, and also I reviewed the answers on my workbook and they are; Tab=9.67 and Tbc=12.334, I would like if someone can show me how to solve those identities step by a step.
    Thanks in advance
    Those equations are part of a problem in mechanics of materials, in which two wires are supporting a weigth (15) both in different known angles (that's why the equations of equilibrium yield those two precedent equations) but I can't get the correct results for each tension in the wires, I know they are trig. identities and something I am doing is not coming well enough in the algebraic procedure.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2006 #2
    According to the question
    for my convenience let alpha=A and beta=B
    there are two equations
    Tbc*cosB - Tab*cosA = 0 ------i
    From i
    Tbc*cosB = Tab*cosA
    => Tbc=Tab*cosA/cosB dividing by cosB both sides
    Placing this value in ii
    => Tab*sinA + (Tab*cosA/cosB)*sinB = 15
    => Tab*(sinA + cosAsinB/cosB) = 15
    => Tab*(sinAcosB + cosAsinB)/cosB = 15
    => Tab*sin(A + B) / cosB = 15 As sin(A+B)=(sinA*cosB)+(cosA*sinB)
    => Tab = 15*cosB/sin(A + B)
    Placing this value in
    Tbc = Tab * cosA / cosB
    now u can calculate the values
  4. Oct 19, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Naumaan gave a perfectly good answer but I would do it a slightly different way.
    Multiply the first equation by [itex]T_{ab}cos(\alpha)+T_{bc}cos(\beta)[/itex] to get [itex]T_{bc} cos^2(\alpha)-T_{ab}cos^2(\beta)= 0[/itex].
    Multiply the second equation by [itex]T_{ab} sin(\alpha)- T_{bc}sin(\beta)[/itex] to get [itex]T_{ab}^2 sin^2(\alpha)- T_{bc}^2 sin^2(\beta)= 15T_{ab}sin(\alpha)- 15T_{bc}sin(\beta[/itex] and add the two equations. since [itex]sin^2(x)+ cos^2(x)= 1[/itex], that gives [itex]T_{ab}^2 - T_{bc}^2= 15T_{ab}sin(\alpha)- 15T_{bc}sin(\beta[/itex] which involves only sines of [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex].

Use [itex]T_{ab}sin(\alpha)+ T_{bc}sin(\beta)= 15[/itex] to replace either [itex]sin(\alpha)[/itex] or [itex]sin(\beta)[/itex] by the other and solve the resulting equation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?