Trig integration project, hung up on wording and where to start

In summary, the conversation is about a calculus project that involves finding the optimal viewing angle for a screen. The person is struggling with understanding the project and is seeking help. They eventually figure out the solution by using the law of cosines.
8point1

Homework Statement

Here is a link to the project: http://www.stewartcalculus.com/data/ESSENTIAL%20CALCULUS%20Early%20Transcendentals/upfiles/projects/ecet_wp_0504b_stu.pdf"

I'm on #1 and and I am at a loss to figure out what they are looking for.

This sentence is really giving me trouble: ". . . the best place to sit is in the row where the angle θ subtended by the screen at your eyes is the maximum."

I really don't know where to start, and its making me panic a bit. I understand all the concepts in class (integration) and do well, but this project is throwing me for a loop.

Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated.

Homework Equations

please see link.

The Attempt at a Solution

none yet, still trying to figure out where to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, started to play with it a bit. Trying to find the length from the wall to the viewer in a straight line.

Came up with (9 + x cos σ), currently trying to find θ with law of cosines...

The question basically wants you to maximize theta. For question 1, a is the distance from the top of the screen to your eye level and b is the distance from the bottom of the screen to your eye level. Conviince yourself of that by examining the two equations and what each piece represents. Then use the law of cosines to figure out what cos(theta) is.

Ok, I finally figured out how to prove the a2 and b2.

I wasn't using the the alpha triangle to help get the sides I needed. Thank you for your help.

1. What is the purpose of a trigonometric integration project?

The purpose of a trigonometric integration project is to apply the principles of integration to solve problems involving trigonometric functions. This can help to better understand the relationship between trigonometric functions and their derivatives, and to solve more complex mathematical equations.

2. How do I get started with a trigonometric integration project?

To get started with a trigonometric integration project, it is important to have a solid understanding of basic integration techniques, such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric identities. You can also start by identifying the type of trigonometric function present in the equation and using the appropriate integration technique to solve it.

3. What are some common challenges when working on a trigonometric integration project?

Some common challenges when working on a trigonometric integration project include identifying the correct integration technique to use, understanding the relationships between different trigonometric functions, and dealing with complex equations or multiple trigonometric functions in one equation. It is important to practice and familiarize yourself with various integration techniques to overcome these challenges.

4. How can I improve my understanding of trigonometric integration?

To improve your understanding of trigonometric integration, it is important to practice solving a variety of problems and to review the fundamental concepts and principles. You can also seek help from a tutor or attend a study group to discuss and work through problems with others.

5. What resources are available to help me with my trigonometric integration project?

There are many resources available to help with trigonometric integration projects, including textbooks, online tutorials and videos, and practice problems with solutions. Your teacher or professor may also offer office hours or extra help sessions for additional support. Additionally, there are various math forums and communities where you can ask for help and receive guidance from other students and experts.