Trig. integration tan^5(x)dx

In summary, the student is asking for clarification on their solution for the integral of tan^5(x). They provide their attempt at a solution and compare it to the answer in the back of their book. They also ask for confirmation on their understanding of the solution. After receiving help, they realize their initial answer was correct and thank the person for their assistance.
SpicyPepper
I'm not sure if my answer is just wrong or basically the same as the one in the back of my book.

Homework Statement

[tex]\int tan^5(x)dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer:

[tex]\int tan^5(x)dx = \frac{tan^4(x)}{4} - \int(sec^2(x)tan(x) - tan(x)) dx[/tex]

[tex]\int tan^5(x)dx = \frac{tan^4(x)}{4} - \frac{tan^2(x)}{2} + ln|sec(x)| + C[/tex]

Book answer:

[tex]\int tan^5(x)dx = \frac{sec^4(x)}{4} - tan^2(x) + ln|sec(x)| + C[/tex]

If I understand correctly,

[tex]\frac{tan^4(x)}{4} + C = \frac{sec^4(x) - 1}{4} + C = \frac{sec^4(x)}{4} + C[/tex]

If that's wrong let me know please.

However, I don't get why I keep getting

[tex]\frac{tan^2(x)}{2}[/tex]

instead of

[tex]tan^2(x)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Ooops. tan(x)^4=(sec(x)^2-1)^2. Multiply the square out.

Ah! So that means my initial answer was right (assuming I don't keep screwing up my trig), since:

= tan^4(x)/4 - tan^2(x)/2 + ... + C

= [sec^4(x) - 2sec^2(x) + 1]/4 - tan^2(x)/2 + ... + C

= sec^4(x)/4 - sec^2(x)/2 - tan^2(x)/2 + ... + C

= sec^4(x)/4 - [tan^2(x) + 1]/2 - tan^2(x)/2 + ... + C

= sec^4(x)/4 - tan^2(x) + ... + C

Thanks

1. What is the general formula for integrating tan^5(x)?

The general formula for integrating tan^5(x) is:
∫tan^5(x)dx = (1/4)tan^4(x) - (1/2)ln|cos(x)| + C

2. How do you solve integrals with odd powers of tangent?

Integrals with odd powers of tangent can be solved by using the following trigonometric identity:
tan^2(x) = sec^2(x) - 1
By substituting this identity into the integral, we can convert it into a form that can be easily integrated.

3. Can trigonometric substitution be used to solve ∫tan^5(x)dx?

Yes, trigonometric substitution can be used to solve ∫tan^5(x)dx. We can substitute tan(x) = u to convert the integral into a polynomial form that can be easily integrated.

4. Is there a shortcut or trick to solving ∫tan^5(x)dx?

No, there is no shortcut or trick to solving ∫tan^5(x)dx. It requires knowledge of various trigonometric identities and integration techniques, such as trigonometric substitution and integration by parts, to solve this integral.

5. Can the integral ∫tan^5(x)dx be solved using only basic integration techniques?

No, the integral ∫tan^5(x)dx cannot be solved using only basic integration techniques. It requires knowledge of advanced integration techniques, such as trigonometric substitution and integration by parts, to solve this integral.