1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Problem: Angular Velocity.

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Ferris Wheel with a radius of 25.3m makes two rotations per minute.

A) Find the average angular speed of the Ferris wheel in radians per second.

B) How far does a rider travel if the ride lasts 5 minutes?

3. The attempt at a solution

A) I got this question after a little bit of trial and error. i stated one rotation was 360 degrees which is equivalent to [tex]2\pi[/tex] Radians. It rotated twice per minute, so i stated that it rotated [tex]4\pi[/tex] radians per minute, my final equation to solve for the angular velocity was:

[tex] \frac{4\pi}{60} \cong 0.21 radians[/tex]

B) I can't seem to get this answer. My answer is 794.82, if i multiply it by 2 i get the correct answer so i don't understand where im missing the 2. the correct answer is 1590 m.

i started with this equation

[tex] \frac{10\pi}{2\pi} = \frac{d}{2\pi r} [/tex]

after some mismatching i cancelled out the common term of 2 pi on both sides and got:

[tex] d = 10\pi r [/tex] which yields the aforementioned answer. Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Thanks,

Senjai

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2009 #2

danago

Gold Member

One full rotation would cover a distance of [tex]2\pi r[/tex] meters.

With a rate of two rotations per minute, a total of 10 rotations is made in 5 minutes.

Hence, the total distance travelled is [tex]2\pi r * 10[/tex] which yields the required answer.

Im not 100% sure where that equation you wrote came from ( [tex]
    \frac{10\pi}{2\pi} = \frac{d}{2\pi r}
    [/tex]), but i suspect that the [tex]10\pi[/tex] should be [tex]20\pi[/tex], the total angle covered?

4. Oct 19, 2009 #3
    I got that equation from the fact the sector angle is proportional to an increase in sector or arc. But i understand where your coming from. Thanks for all your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook