Trig Problem: Angular Velocity.

In summary, the Ferris Wheel with a radius of 25.3m makes two rotations per minute, which is equivalent to 4\pi radians per minute. To find the average angular speed in radians per second, we divide 4\pi by 60, which gives us 0.21 radians per second. In order to determine the distance traveled by a rider in 5 minutes, we use the equation 2\pi r * 10, where 10 represents the 10 rotations made in 5 minutes. This yields a total distance of 20\pi r, which is equal to 1590 meters. The original equation used to solve for the distance may have a mistake, as the correct answer should be
Senjai

Homework Statement

A Ferris Wheel with a radius of 25.3m makes two rotations per minute.

A) Find the average angular speed of the Ferris wheel in radians per second.

B) How far does a rider travel if the ride lasts 5 minutes?

The Attempt at a Solution

A) I got this question after a little bit of trial and error. i stated one rotation was 360 degrees which is equivalent to [tex]2\pi[/tex] Radians. It rotated twice per minute, so i stated that it rotated [tex]4\pi[/tex] radians per minute, my final equation to solve for the angular velocity was:

[tex] \frac{4\pi}{60} \cong 0.21 radians[/tex]

B) I can't seem to get this answer. My answer is 794.82, if i multiply it by 2 i get the correct answer so i don't understand where I am missing the 2. the correct answer is 1590 m.

i started with this equation

[tex] \frac{10\pi}{2\pi} = \frac{d}{2\pi r} [/tex]

after some mismatching i canceled out the common term of 2 pi on both sides and got:

[tex] d = 10\pi r [/tex] which yields the aforementioned answer. Does anyone know what I'm missing?

Thanks,

Senjai

Physics news on Phys.org
One full rotation would cover a distance of [tex]2\pi r[/tex] meters.

With a rate of two rotations per minute, a total of 10 rotations is made in 5 minutes.

Hence, the total distance traveled is [tex]2\pi r * 10[/tex] which yields the required answer.Im not 100% sure where that equation you wrote came from ( [tex]
\frac{10\pi}{2\pi} = \frac{d}{2\pi r}
[/tex]), but i suspect that the [tex]10\pi[/tex] should be [tex]20\pi[/tex], the total angle covered?

I got that equation from the fact the sector angle is proportional to an increase in sector or arc. But i understand where your coming from. Thanks for all your help!

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement of an object over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is usually measured in radians per second in the SI unit system.

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating, while linear velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is moving in a straight line. Angular velocity takes into account the distance from the center of rotation, while linear velocity does not.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular velocity?

The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time. It can also be written as ω = 2πf, where f is the frequency of rotation in revolutions per second.

4. How is angular velocity related to angular acceleration?

Angular velocity and angular acceleration are related through the formula ω = ω0 + αt, where ω0 is the initial angular velocity, α is the angular acceleration, and t is the time. This formula shows that angular velocity and angular acceleration are directly proportional to each other.

5. What are some real-life examples of angular velocity?

Some real-life examples of angular velocity include the rotation of a Ferris wheel, the spin of an ice skater, and the movement of a wind turbine. It can also be seen in the rotation of the Earth on its axis and the orbit of planets around the sun.