Trig problem cos (arctan 5/12)

• Thread starter jacy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cos Trig
In summary, the conversation discussed how to calculate cos(arctan 5/12) without using a calculator. One suggestion was to draw a triangle, mark the angle represented by arctan 5/12, and use the definition of the cos of that angle to solve. Another suggestion was to use basic trigonometric formulas to find the answer without constructing a triangle. The final answer was determined to be 12/13, with no unit as trig ratios are dimensionless.
jacy
I have to calculate this without using the calculator.
cos (arctan 5/12)

So far i draw a triangle and i have the opposite side to be 5, adjacent to be 12, and hypotenuse to be 13. Please suggest me some hint, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Once you have drawn the triangle it is easy. Mark the angle represented by ArcTan [itex] \frac 5 {12} [/itex]

then use the definition of the cos of that angle to get your answer.

Integral said:
Once you have drawn the triangle it is easy. Mark the angle represented by ArcTan [itex] \frac 5 {12} [/itex]

then use the definition of the cos of that angle to get your answer.

am getting 12/13, am i correct

jacy said:
am getting 12/13, am i correct

Correct. BTW, if you're allowed access to a calculator, you can use that to verify your answer (even if you're not allowed to use the calc to derive the answer).

Curious3141 said:
Correct. BTW, if you're allowed access to a calculator, you can use that to verify your answer (even if you're not allowed to use the calc to derive the answer).

Thanks, should the unit be the length of the sides, since 12/13 is not an angle.

jacy said:
Thanks, should the unit be the length of the sides, since 12/13 is not an angle.

No, trig ratios have no unit. You're dividing a length by a length, so they're dimensionless.

Just for another take on this problem (I find the construction of a rt triangle a bit cumbersome) we could use basic trig. results.

For eg, if you have to do something like cos(arctan(x))
we can proceed by taking arctan(x)=y
so x=tan(y)
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+tan^2y}} = cos(y)
or y=arccos(\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}})[/tex]
So cos(arctan(x)) = cos(y) = [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+x^2}})[/itex]
which gives the answer.This approach works for all such problems.
No messy triangles.

Arun

Thanks everyone for helping me out.

What is the value of cos(arctan 5/12)?

The value of cos(arctan 5/12) is approximately 0.96.

How do you solve trigonometric problems involving arctan?

To solve trigonometric problems involving arctan, you can use the inverse trigonometric function on a calculator or use trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation to simplify the problem.

Why does arctan have a restricted domain?

The domain of arctan is restricted because it has an infinite number of solutions for any given input. To avoid ambiguity, the standard domain for arctan is restricted to values between -π/2 and π/2.

What is the relationship between arctan and cos?

The relationship between arctan and cos is that arctan is the inverse function of tan, and cos is the reciprocal function of tan. This means that arctan and cos are inversely related, and their values are dependent on each other.

How can trigonometric identities be used to simplify problems involving arctan?

Trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identity and double angle formulas, can be used to simplify problems involving arctan. By substituting known identities and manipulating the equations, you can simplify the problem and solve for the unknown value.