What is the solution to cos[arcsin (-4/5) + arccos (12/13)]?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate the trigonometric expression cos[arcsin(-4/5) + arccos(12/13)] by drawing right triangles and using the sum of angles identity for cosine. The missing side of the triangle is found using the Pythagorean theorem and right triangle trigonometry.
dkotschessaa

Homework Statement

Evaluate the trigonometric expression (several examples). Hint: In each case, sketch a right triangle. For example, in the first case, sketch a right triangle with a hypotenuse of length 5 and one leg of length 3. Let A be the angle opposite the side of length 3. Solve for the length of the third side, and then look at the sketch to find tanA.

First example (which I solved) tan(arcsin 3/5)

Second Example (I'm boggled :confused:) cos[arcsin (-4/5) + arccos (12/13)]

Homework Equations

For the first example tan(arcsin 3/5)

The missing side of the triangle by the Pythagorean theorem turns out to be 4 ,so tanA= opposite (3) over adjacent (4) = 3/4. No problem.

For the second...

cos[arcsin (-4/5) + arccos (12/13)]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I've been specifically asked to draw a right triangle, I go along with it - I draw one with a side of -4 and solve the missing side for 3. The second triangle I get a missing side of 5.

Of course I can use a calculator and calculate the angles, add them together and take the cosine, but that's not what's being asked. I've tried various means of seeing if we're talking about one triangle instead of two, by drawing one a hypotenuse of length 65 (multiplying the hypotenuse of each). The other two sides are 60 and -40. This doesn't help. I know the answer is 56/65 I don't know how to get to it.

I've even tried putting the hypotenuse of triangle A as the opposite side of triangle B but I just get some bizarre shape that doesn't tell me anything. I don't know any trig identities that involve adding a sin of one angle with the cosine of another, much less their inverses.

I'm basically not understanding conceptually what's being asked here. Even if I wasn't dealing with this -4 in the equation I wouldn't know how to add these two.

-DaveKA

Physics news on Phys.org
dkotschessaa said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the trigonometric expression (several examples). Hint: In each case, sketch a right triangle. For example, in the first case, sketch a right triangle with a hypotenuse of length 5 and one leg of length 3. Let A be the angle opposite the side of length 3. Solve for the length of the third side, and then look at the sketch to find tanA.

First example (which I solved) tan(arcsin 3/5)

Second Example (I'm boggled :confused:) cos[arcsin (-4/5) + arccos (12/13)]

Homework Equations

For the first example tan(arcsin 3/5)

The missing side of the triangle by the Pythagorean theorem turns out to be 4 ,so tanA= opposite (3) over adjacent (4) = 3/4. No problem.

For the second...

cos[arcsin (-4/5) + arccos (12/13)]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I've been specifically asked to draw a right triangle, I go along with it - I draw one with a side of -4 and solve the missing side for 3. The second triangle I get a missing side of 5.

Of course I can use a calculator and calculate the angles, add them together and take the cosine, but that's not what's being asked. I've tried various means of seeing if we're talking about one triangle instead of two, by drawing one a hypotenuse of length 65 (multiplying the hypotenuse of each). The other two sides are 60 and -40. This doesn't help. I know the answer is 56/65 I don't know how to get to it.

I've even tried putting the hypotenuse of triangle A as the opposite side of triangle B but I just get some bizarre shape that doesn't tell me anything. I don't know any trig identities that involve adding a sin of one angle with the cosine of another, much less their inverses.

I'm basically not understanding conceptually what's being asked here. Even if I wasn't dealing with this -4 in the equation I wouldn't know how to add these two.

-DaveKA

Start by using the sum of angles identity for cosine: cos(A + B) = cosAcosB - sinAsinB, where A = arcsin(-4/5) and B = arccos(12/13). From there, you should be able to use right triangle trig to find the two remaining values.

Perfect, Mark. Thank you!

Related to What is the solution to cos[arcsin (-4/5) + arccos (12/13)]?

What is the purpose of evaluating a trig function?

Evaluating a trig function allows you to find the numerical value of the function at a specific angle or input value. This can be useful in various applications, such as calculating distances, angles, and other geometric properties.

What are the common trig functions that need to be evaluated?

The most frequently evaluated trig functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. Other common trig functions include cosecant, secant, and cotangent.

How do you evaluate a trig function?

To evaluate a trig function, you need to know the angle or input value and the trig function's equation. You can then use a calculator or trigonometric tables to find the numerical value of the function.

What are the key properties to keep in mind when evaluating a trig function?

The key properties to keep in mind when evaluating a trig function are the unit circle, the periodicity of trig functions, and the relationship between different trig functions (e.g., the Pythagorean identity).

Can you provide an example of evaluating a trig function?

Yes, for example, to evaluate the sine function at 30 degrees, you can use the equation sin(30°) = 0.5. Using a calculator, you can find that the numerical value of sin(30°) is approximately 0.5.