Trig problem (Diagram included)

• Thread starter supernova1203
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the problem involves finding the height of a building with a satellite dish that is 5m high. The angles of elevation of the bottom and top of the dish are given as 39.1 degrees and 44.7 degrees. This can be solved using the sine ratio, where the hypotenuse of the smaller right triangle is used to find the height of the building. The correct angle of elevation is 44.7 degrees, not 44.3 degrees.
supernova1203

Homework Statement

A satellite dish that is 5m high sits atop a building, from a point at the base of building, the angles of elevation of the bottom and the top of the satellite dish are 39.1 degrees and 44.7 degrees. Determine the height of the building to one decimal place.

Homework Equations

Sine law: a/SinA = b/SinB=c/SinB

Cosine law: c^2=a^2+b^2-2abCosC

Pythagorean theorem: a^2+b^2= c^2

The Attempt at a Solution

We are originally just given the 5m and the 2 angles 44.3 degrees and 39.1 degrees
rest is included in diagram which i obtained either using one of the 3 laws or the supposition that a triangle has in total a 180 degrees of angles.

triangle = 3 angles which total in 180.

Attachments

• height problem 01.jpg
    height problem 01.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 360
Physics news on Phys.org
The side labeled "5.09 m" can't be right. That is the longest side of the top triangle, so it has to be greater than 36.35 m. After you fix that, use the sine ratio for either right triangle to solve for h.

Last edited:
eumyang said:
The side labeled "5.09 m" can't be right. That is the longest side of the top triangle, so it has to be greater than 36.35 m. After you fix that, use the sine ratio for either right triangle to solve for h.

your right, first off in my calculations i used tan, instead of sin which would make sense, i re did the calculations and it comes out to be 51.5 m instead of 5.09m.

Also the course teaches us how to use the sine ration, but it ends up being h+5 which is hard for me to solve @_@

supernova1203 said:
your right, first off in my calculations i used tan, instead of sin which would make sense, i re did the calculations and it comes out to be 51.5 m instead of 5.09m.

Also the course teaches us how to use the sine ration, but it ends up being h+5 which is hard for me to solve @_@

I'm not getting 51.5m either.

Also, it's not hard using the sine ratio. Using the hypotenuse of the smaller right triangle (which is about 36.42, not 36.35), you don't even need to worry about the h+5:
[tex]\sin 39.1^{\circ} = \frac{h}{36.42}[/tex]

EDIT: Also, θ1 + θ2 in the diagram is incorrectly labeled as 44.3°. It should be 44.7°

Last edited:

1. What is the trigonometric function represented by the given diagram?

The trigonometric function represented by the given diagram is sine (sin).

2. How do I use the given diagram to solve the trigonometric problem?

To solve the trigonometric problem, you can use the diagram to identify the sides and angles involved in the problem. Then, you can use the appropriate trigonometric function (such as sine, cosine, or tangent) to calculate the missing value.

3. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it used in trigonometry?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This theorem is used in trigonometry to find the length of a missing side in a right triangle, by using the known lengths of the other sides and the trigonometric functions.

4. How do I determine if the given problem can be solved using trigonometry?

To determine if a problem can be solved using trigonometry, you need to check if there is a right triangle involved in the problem. If there is a right triangle, then you can use trigonometry to solve the problem.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve the trigonometric problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve the trigonometric problem. Most scientific calculators have trigonometric functions and can perform calculations involving angles and sides in a right triangle.