Can a Ship Enter a Harbor? Calculating Depth Using h(t) = 3 + 2sin(0.5236t)

• Thread starter BadatPhysicsguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Depth Ship
In summary, the problem is asking for the time duration that a ship can stay in a harbor where the depth of the water is 4.5m or more. The given function h(t) = 3 + 2sin(0.5236t) represents the depth of the water in meters at a given time t in hours after 7am. To find the time duration, we need to solve for t when h(t) = 4.5. After some calculations, we get two solutions for t: 1.619 hours and 2.293 hours. However, we need to divide 2.293 by 0.5236 to get the correct time duration of 4.38 hours. Therefore
BadatPhysicsguy

Homework Statement

h(t) = 3 + 2sin(0.5236t)
h = depth in meters (water)
t = number of hours after 7

1) A certain ship can only enter the harbor if the depth is 4.5m or more. For how long can this ship stay at the harbor?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried getting both of the sine solutions 1.619 and 2.293. I substracted the former from the latter but that didn't work. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
BadatPhysicsguy said:

Homework Statement

h(t) = 3 + 2sin(0.5236t)
h = depth in meters (water)
t = number of hours after 7

1) A certain ship can only enter the harbor if the depth is 4.5m or more. For how long can this ship stay at the harbor?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried getting both of the sine solutions 1.619 and 2.293. I substracted the former from the latter but that didn't work. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
You forgot to divide 2.293 with 0.5236.

Write out your solution in full detail next time, to show how much work you have done. :)

Related to Can a Ship Enter a Harbor? Calculating Depth Using h(t) = 3 + 2sin(0.5236t)

1. Can you explain the equation h(t) = 3 + 2sin(0.5236t)?

The equation h(t) = 3 + 2sin(0.5236t) is a mathematical model used to calculate the depth of a harbor over time. The "h" represents the depth of the harbor, "t" represents time (in hours), and "sin" is the sine function. The constant 0.5236 is the conversion factor from hours to radians, and the constant 3 represents the average depth of the harbor.

2. How does this equation help determine if a ship can enter a harbor?

This equation helps determine if a ship can enter a harbor by providing a way to calculate the depth of the harbor at any given time. If the depth is greater than the draft (the depth of the ship's hull), then the ship can safely enter the harbor without running aground.

3. What does the "sin" function represent in this equation?

The "sin" function in this equation represents the periodic nature of tides, which can affect the depth of a harbor. This function allows for fluctuations in the depth of the harbor over time, rather than assuming a constant depth.

4. How would you use this equation to determine the maximum depth a ship can safely enter a harbor?

To determine the maximum depth a ship can safely enter a harbor, you would need to know the draft of the ship and the maximum allowable draft for the harbor. Then, you would plug those values into the equation and solve for "t". This would give you the maximum time (in hours) that the ship could enter the harbor without running aground. You can then plug this value back into the equation to find the corresponding maximum depth.

5. Are there any limitations to using this equation to determine if a ship can enter a harbor?

Yes, there are limitations to using this equation. It assumes that the depth of the harbor follows a sine wave pattern, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account other factors such as wind, currents, or storms, which can affect the depth of the harbor. Additionally, the accuracy of the equation depends on the accuracy of the input data used (such as the average depth of the harbor). Therefore, it should be used as a general guideline rather than an exact measurement.