Trig simplifycation and Intergration

In summary, the conversation is about using the formula for integration to calculate the volume of a solid formed by rotating a function around the y-axis. The person has substituted u=x^2 and is discussing simplifying the equation for easier integration. They also mention changing the bounds of integration from x to u when using substitution.
lemurs
kay doing Cylidical Shells and what not.

given y=sin(x^2)
from x=0..sqr(pi)
and rottated around the y-axis.

I use the forumla for intergration

V=2(pi)x F(x) d(x)

i get when i subsitute

2(pi)x Sin(x^2) d(x)
I know since 2(pi) is constan i pull it through the intergral.
Can I simplify : x Sin(x^2) into something easier for integration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Substitution.

just want to make sure i did it right.. since it's been a while since i did substition.

for my question i woul have
u=x^2

du/dx=2x
du=2x dx
1/2(du) = x dx. which will fit into my orginal equation.

That all looks right. Make sure to change the bounds as well.

kay lost me there what you mean change the bounds?

The integration goes from x=0 to x=sqrt(pi), so from u=0 to u=pi.

ok.. don't understnad why i have to change my bounds... but iwill take your word for it.

Good, that's the way math should be done. Seriously, what don't you understand? If you want to integrate from x=0 to x=sqrt(pi), and you have set u=x^2, then to integrate over the same region you need to go from u=0^2=0 to u=(sqrt(pi))^2=pi.

1. What is the difference between trigonometric simplification and integration?

Trigonometric simplification involves simplifying trigonometric expressions by using identities and properties, while integration involves finding the area under a curve using techniques such as substitution and integration by parts.

2. How do I simplify a trigonometric expression?

To simplify a trigonometric expression, you can use identities such as the Pythagorean identity, double angle identities, and half angle identities. You can also use properties such as the sum and difference identities, and the product to sum identities.

3. What is the purpose of trigonometric simplification?

The purpose of trigonometric simplification is to make expressions involving trigonometric functions easier to work with, solve, or integrate. It also helps to identify relationships between different trigonometric functions.

4. How do I integrate trigonometric functions?

To integrate trigonometric functions, you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities. It is also helpful to memorize the basic antiderivatives of trigonometric functions.

5. Why is trigonometric simplification important in calculus?

Trigonometric simplification is important in calculus because it allows us to solve more complex problems involving trigonometric functions. It is also a fundamental skill needed for integration and differentiation of trigonometric functions.