Trig Word Problem: Finding Height of a Baloon

In summary, Fran measures the angle of depression from the balloon to a landmark, and then uses the sine law to find the height of the balloon.
Williams.235

Homework Statement

While taking a ride in a hot-air balloon, Fran wonders how high he is. To find out, he chooses a landmark that is to the east of the balloon and measures the angle of depression to be 54 degrees. A few minuets later, after traveling 100 feet east, the angle of depression to the same landmark is determined to be 61 degrees. Use this information to determine the height of the balloon.

Homework Equations

Standard Trig Identities

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a firm grasp of the material in general but am struggeling with properly sketching the problem. I have attatched my representation of the problem in picture form. My problem is that we have only studied right triangle trig (2 weeks into course) so my value of 100 feet has to, in some way, be associated with the right triangle portion of the drawing. I went ahead a solved the problem assuming i can use the 100 feet in the right triangle portion of the drawling: my work is below:

Tan 61 degrees = H/100ft

(100ft)(Tan 61 degrees)= H

Answer: Approx. 180.41 feet.

I am not sure if it is right, if it is then I still don't quite understand how to visualize the problem. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• Example.jpg
    Example.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 940
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Williams.235! :smile:
Williams.235 said:
… am struggeling with properly sketching the problem …

Tan 61 degrees = H/100ft

Nooo … 100 isn't part of the triangle, is it?

General tip: half the job of a sketch is to give letters to anything that's important … without a letter, you can't talk about it!

in this case, call the bit to the right of the 100 feet "x", and carry on from there. :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Williams.235! :smile:

Nooo … 100 isn't part of the triangle, is it?

General tip: half the job of a sketch is to give letters to anything that's important … without a letter, you can't talk about it!

in this case, call the bit to the right of the 100 feet "x", and carry on from there. :wink:

If I do that, I get

tan 61 degrees = H/x

I am left with an unknown equaling an unknown.

When I look at the overall triangle, I tried to compute:

Tan 54 degrees = H/100+x
(100+X) Tan 54 degrees = H
137.64 + 1.38X = H

Then, I attempted to take Tan 61 degrees = x/(137.64 +1.38X) and received a negative value for X, which would mean the distance from the balloon to the landmark is negative which is not possible.

Williams.235 said:
tan 61 degrees = H/x

Tan 54 degrees = H/100+x
(100+X) Tan 54 degrees = H
137.64 + 1.38X = H

Tan 61 degrees = x/(137.64 +1.38X) …

No, that's the wrong way up! :rolleyes:

(but anyway, it would be easier to equate the two values of H :wink:)

Another way to do this: Looking at the obtuse triangle on the left, you know that one angle is 54 degrees and another is 180- 61= 119 degrees. The third angle, at the base, is 180- 54- 119= 7 degrees (also 61- 54 degrees, of course).

You can use the sine law, then, to find the length of that line between "64 degrees" and "landmark" (another good reason to label the sides!), the hypotenuse of the small right triangle, and then use sin(61) to find the height of the balloon.

1. How do I approach a trig word problem involving the height of a balloon?

To solve a trig word problem involving the height of a balloon, you will need to use the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions relate the angles and sides of a right triangle and can help you find the height of the balloon.

2. What information do I need to solve a trig word problem about a balloon's height?

You will need to know the angle of elevation or depression, the distance between the observer and the balloon, and the height of the observer. These pieces of information can be used to set up a trigonometric equation and solve for the height of the balloon.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve a trig word problem about a balloon's height?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve the trigonometric equations involved in finding the height of a balloon. Make sure your calculator is set to the correct angle mode (degrees or radians) and use the appropriate trig functions for the given problem.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving a trig word problem about a balloon's height?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert between degrees and radians. Make sure to check if your calculator is set to the correct angle mode. Another mistake is using the wrong trig function for the given problem. Be sure to carefully read and understand the problem before setting up your equations.

5. Can I use trigonometry to solve a word problem about a balloon's height in any situation?

Trigonometry can be used to solve a word problem about a balloon's height as long as the problem involves a right triangle. If the problem involves a non-right triangle, other methods such as the law of sines or cosines may be needed to find the height of the balloon.