What is the solution to this trigonometric limit problem?

In summary, a trigonometric limit problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the limit of a trigonometric function as the input variable approaches a certain value. The most commonly used trigonometric functions in limit problems are sine, cosine, and tangent. The process for solving a trigonometric limit problem involves using algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities, applying limit laws and known limit values, and possibly using L'Hopital's rule. There are several common types of trigonometric limit problems, each requiring a different approach to solve. These problems are important in understanding the behavior of trigonometric functions and their practical applications in various fields.
chmate

Homework Statement

Find [itex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{1-cosxcos2xcos3x}{1-cosx}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Actually my book gives this continuation [itex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{1-cosx+cosx[1-cos2x+cos2x(1-cos3x)]}{1-cosx}[/itex] but I don't know how author arrived there. Can anyone explain it to me?

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The author rewrote the numerator; if you expand all brackets, you arrive at the same expression.

Yeah, I realized, after I posted this thread, that author added and substracted [itex]cosx[/itex] in numerator. This was the trick.

The problem is solved.

What is a trigonometric limit problem?

A trigonometric limit problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the limit of a trigonometric function as the input variable approaches a certain value. This type of problem is commonly encountered in calculus and is used to evaluate the behavior of trigonometric functions near certain points.

What are the common trigonometric functions used in limit problems?

The most commonly used trigonometric functions in limit problems are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are used in both their basic forms as well as in combination with other functions, such as logarithms and exponentials, to create more complex limit problems.

What is the process for solving a trigonometric limit problem?

The process for solving a trigonometric limit problem usually involves using algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities to simplify the expression, and then applying limit laws and known limit values to evaluate the limit. It may also involve using L'Hopital's rule if the limit is indeterminate.

What are the common types of trigonometric limit problems?

There are several common types of trigonometric limit problems, including ones involving trigonometric identities, ones involving trigonometric functions raised to a power, and ones involving limits at infinity. Each type requires a slightly different approach to solve.

Why are trigonometric limit problems important?

Trigonometric limit problems are important because they are essential in understanding the behavior of trigonometric functions and their graphs. They also have many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and other fields that involve modeling and analyzing periodic phenomena.