Trigonometric Subsitution Integral

In summary, the integral of cot^2(x)csc^4(x)dx can be solved by using the substitution u = cot(x) and du = -csc^2(x)dx. After integrating and substituting back in the original variable, the solution is -cot^5(x)/5 - cot^4(x)/2 - cot^3(x)/3 + C. However, there may be a discrepancy with the solution shown by Wolfram Alpha, which does not have the term cot^4(x)/2. It is possible that there was an error in the integration process or Wolfram Alpha's solution is incorrect.
Painguy

Homework Statement

∫cot^2(x)csc^4(x)dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∫cot^2(x)(cot^2(x)+1)csc^2(x)dx
u=cot(x)
du=-csc^2(x)dx
-∫u^2 (u^2 +1)du
-∫u^4 + 2u^3 + u^2 du
-(u^5)/5 - (u^4)/2 - (u^3)/3
-cot^5(x)/5 - cot^4(x)/2 - cot^3(x)/3 + C

Wolfram alpha shows the solution as -cot^5(x)/5 - cot^3(x)/3 + C

So I'm unsure as to how I got the cot^4(x)/2

What exactly did I do wrong or is wolfram wrong?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Painguy said:

Homework Statement

∫cot^2(x)csc^4(x)dx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∫cot^2(x)(cot^2(x)+1)csc^2(x)dx
u=cot(x)
du=-csc^2(x)dx
-∫u^2 (u^2 +1)du
-∫u^4 + 2u^3 + u^2 du
-(u^5)/5 - (u^4)/2 - (u^3)/3
-cot^5(x)/5 - cot^4(x)/2 - cot^3(x)/3 + C

Wolfram alpha shows the solution as -cot^5(x)/5 - cot^3(x)/3 + C

So I'm unsure as to how I got the cot^4(x)/2

What exactly did I do wrong or is wolfram wrong?

Thanks in advance

Now how did you change u^2(u^2+1) into u^4 + 2u^3 + u^2?

1. What is Trigonometric Substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals involving radical expressions. It involves substituting a trigonometric function for a variable in the integral in order to transform it into a simpler form.

2. When should Trigonometric Substitution be used?

Trigonometric substitution should be used when the integral involves a radical expression that can be rewritten in terms of a trigonometric function. This technique is especially useful when dealing with integrals containing square roots or the quadratic formula.

3. How do you choose which trigonometric function to substitute?

The trigonometric function to substitute is chosen based on the form of the radical expression in the integral. For example, if the integral contains a term of the form sqrt(a^2 - x^2), then the substitution x = a*sin(theta) would be appropriate.

4. What are some common mistakes made when using Trigonometric Substitution?

Some common mistakes when using Trigonometric Substitution include forgetting to change the limits of integration, using the wrong trigonometric function to substitute, and not simplifying the integral after substitution. It is important to carefully check each step and make sure the final answer is in its simplest form.

5. Are there any alternative methods for solving integrals that involve trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are other methods for solving integrals involving trigonometric functions, such as integration by parts and u-substitution. However, Trigonometric Substitution is particularly useful for integrals with radical expressions and can often lead to simpler solutions.