1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric Substitution Problem

1. Jun 3, 2010 #1
    This problem looks relatively simple, but the coefficient in front of the variable is causing issues:

So I started like this:

Normally you can remove the constant from the root and go about the rest of the integral, but I'm stumped on this. How can I break this down into something more manageable? I've tried several identities but nothing has worked yet.

A pointer in the right direction would be great. Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2010 #2

Staff: Mentor

Use the substitution sin(theta) = 2x. Rather than trying to remember which substitution to use, I draw a right triangle, labellings its sides according to the quantities in the radical. My triangle has a hypotenuse of 1, opposite side of 2x, and adjacent side of sqrt(1 - 4x^2).
  4. Jun 3, 2010 #3
    So you just treat the root as the Pythagorean theorem? Makes sense.

To make sure I understand this fully, if my equation was [tex]\int{\sqrt{1+16x^{2}}}dx[/tex]

I would say that one of triangle's sides was 1, and the other was 4x? Making the hypotenuse the square root of 1-16x^2?

Okay, so going back to the original I can say that sin(theta) = 2x/1, and then isolate x to get x=sin(theta)/2. Putting that in it squares and cancels out the 4. Wonderful, thanks for the help!
  5. Jun 3, 2010 #4

No, the hypotenuse would be sqrt(1 + 16x^2).
  6. Jun 3, 2010 #5
    I hit the minus sign by accident. :p
  7. Jun 3, 2010 #6

I hope you don't get a job at the bank I go to :yuck:

(Just kidding!)
  8. Jun 4, 2010 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook