Trigonometry ( high school level )

In summary, In trying to solve for a triangle, the cot function requires a 90 degree angle. Therefore, the triangle is equilateral, right angled, or isosceles.
sambarbarian
Cot A + Cot B + Cot C = under root 3

ABC is which type of triangle ?

1) isosceles
2) equilateral
3) right angled
4) none of these

Physics news on Phys.org
sambarbarian said:
Cot A + Cot B + Cot C = under root 3

ABC is which type of triangle ?

1) isosceles
2) equilateral
3) right angled
4) none of these
What have you tried?

Where are you stuck?

There are indications in some of your previous posts that you know that you are expected to show an attempt at a solution.

that is the problem , i can't even begin to solve this . i don't know how to start this one .

P.S - i did think of option c) because the function cot would require a 90 degree angle .

sambarbarian said:
that is the problem , i can't even begin to solve this . i don't know how to start this one .

P.S - i did think of option c) because the function cot would require a 90 degree angle .

What do you mean cot requires a 90o angle? Can you draw the graph of cot? Specifically for the values of x between 0o and 180o (because a triangle can only have these angles obviously).

yes i can , as i said i don't know where to begin so i just wrote whatever came to my mind .

sambarbarian said:

Here's a very basic place to start.

A + B + C =  ? 

180 degree

sambarbarian said:
180 degree
Solve for C.

Then see if you can take it a step or two further on your own & let us know what you come up with.

Last edited:
Ok, I suggest you to try. Start with the simpliest solution: the equilateral one. You know the angles, does the equation work?

In a second time you can try with right angled one.
You know the first angle (say A) is 90° and the sum of the three angles have to be 180°, right? So, posing the unknown angle as B, the angle C is fixed.
I don't know what do you mean with high scool level (I'm from an other country), but if you know trigonometric formulas (for sin and cos of sum and difference of angles) you can easily manipulate the cot and find a quadratic equation you can try to solve. (I hope I make myself clear)

In a third time you can try to solve the isosceles one. Is a bit more difficult than above, but you can do it: Isosceles means 2 angles are the same, say A = B. Now, C have to be 180-(A+B) = 180 -(2*A). Same of second solution, manipulate using trigonometric formulas and you have a quadratic equation.

Now have just to try. I know that find the angules isn't required, but I'm not sure that the quadratic equations have solution (I have no time to solve them).

(I apologize for any possible mistakes, I'm trying to improve my English.)

Thanks G.I , i got it

1. What is trigonometry and why is it important?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationship between the sides and angles of triangles. It is important because it has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, navigation, and physics.

2. What are the three basic trigonometric functions?

The three basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions represent the ratio of the sides of a right triangle and are used to solve for unknown angles or sides.

3. How do you find the values of trigonometric functions?

The values of trigonometric functions can be found using a calculator or by using the values of special right triangles (30-60-90 and 45-45-90) and the unit circle. The values can also be found using trigonometric identities and formulas.

4. What is the Pythagorean theorem and how is it related to trigonometry?

The Pythagorean theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This theorem is related to trigonometry because it can be used to find the lengths of sides in right triangles, which is essential in solving trigonometric problems.

5. How is trigonometry used in real life?

Trigonometry is used in many real-life situations, such as calculating distances and heights, determining the slope of a roof, and designing bridges and buildings. It is also used in astronomy to measure the distances between stars and planets, and in navigation to determine the position of a ship or plane.