Trigonometry Identity Question

In summary, sin(180 - x) = sin x can be shown algebraically by using the trigonometric identities of sin and cos and the knowledge of the unit circle. By understanding the periodicity of these functions, we can calculate values for angles greater than 90 degrees and use the fact that sin(90°-x) = cos(x) when 0≤x≤90° to solve for sin(180 - x).
askor
Can someone please tell me how sin(180 - x) = sin x?

Here my attempt:

sin (180 - x) = sin 180 . cos x - cos 180 . sin x

Next? I have no idea...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
askor said:
Can someone please tell me how sin(180 - x) = sin x?

Here my attempt:

sin (180 - x) = sin 180 . cos x - cos 180 . sin x

Next? I have no idea...
I suggest that you draw the XY axis, draw show zero degrees, X degrees, and 180-X degrees. Or do you mean that you need to show it algebraically?

Likes symbolipoint
phinds said:
I suggest that you draw the XY axis, draw show zero degrees, X degrees, and 180-X degrees. Or do you mean that you need to show it algebraically?

Yes, I need it algebraically.

askor said:
Yes, I need it algebraically.
What are ##\sin 180°## and ##\cos 180°##?

Likes phinds
fresh_42 said:
:biggrin:

You should know the values of cosine for common angles. Specifically for the angles of 0, 30, 45,60,90,120,135, 150 and 180 degrees at least and their equivalents in radian measure otherwise you will never solve these kinds of problems.

Did you learn about the unit circle?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_circle

Knowing that will answer your question.

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker and symbolipoint
fresh_42 said:

I only know the value of sin x and cos x in the range from 0 degree to 90 degree.

I don't know the value of sin x and cos x greater than 90 degree.

askor said:
I only know the value of sin x and cos x in the range from 0 degree to 90 degree.

I don't know the value of sin x and cos x greater than 90 degree.

Then find out. Look at my unit circle reference. In truth you should know them for 360 degrees and beyond as that in itself is also important to understand the periodicity of the functions.

Last edited:
Or calculate ##\sin (90°+90°)## by the formulas you already used.

Likes jedishrfu and mfb
Or.. you know (or ought to know) that sin(90°-x) = cos(x) when 0≤x≤90°. Use that fact and the fact that 180°-x = 90° + (90°-x) and use your formula on that.

1. What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is a mathematical equation that shows a relationship between trigonometric functions. It is used to simplify and solve trigonometric equations.

2. What are the most commonly used trigonometric identities?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, sum and difference identities, double angle identities, and half angle identities.

3. How do I prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you must manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic and trigonometric properties until it matches the other side of the equation. This shows that both sides are equal and the identity is true.

4. Why are trigonometric identities important?

Trigonometric identities are important because they allow us to simplify and solve complex trigonometric equations. They are also used in many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and navigation.

5. How can I remember all the trigonometric identities?

One way to remember the trigonometric identities is to understand the patterns and relationships between them. You can also create flashcards or practice using the identities in different equations to help memorize them.