1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometry Review: Conflict Answer, Probably Me

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    SOLVED! Thank-you jhicks and Tedjn!

I am taking a basic calculus course and have some weaknesses when it comes to trigonometry. In this case, it's pure trig.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question states: "Find all values of x in the interval [0,2pi] that satisfy the equation sin x = tan x".

2. Relevant equations
    I do know that: tan x = sin x / cos x

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since I know that tan x = sin x / cos x, I can rewrite the above equation sin x = tan x to:
    sin x = sin x / cos x
    Rearranging and canceling terms, I get:
    cos x = 1
    So my answer to this problem would be x = 0 and 2pi (in radians, of course), that satisfy the given interval.
    I based this answer on the "Trig Functions of Important Angles" and worked out the multiples of pi that satisfied the equation cos x = 1.

My problem is (lol, isn't it always) with the answer key. While they agree that 0 and 2pi are correct, they also add pi. Why? When I consider the cosine of pi (in radians), I get -1, not one. Pi doesn't seem to agree with cos x = 1 when x=pi.
    Yet, when I work out sin x = tan x, using x=pi, it works out to 0=0, which is certainly true. How did I miss it? Where'd I go wrong?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2
    Don't ever divide out terms like that. You get rid of roots when that happens. In this case, your modified equation fails to see that 0 = 0/-1

4. Oct 22, 2008 #3
    jhicks... not sure what you're getting at. Here's what I did when I said I "Rearranged and canceled" terms:

sin x = sin x / cos x (because tan x = sin x / cos x)
    sin x * cos x = sin x (multiply both sides by cos x)
    cos x = sin x / sin x (divide both sides by sin x)
    cos x = 1 (left with... cos x = 1)

When you say, "Don't ever divide out terms like that. You get rid of roots when that happens. In this case, your modified equation fails to see that 0 = 0/-1", I don't understand. Could you please elaborate?

5. Oct 22, 2008 #4
    You lose solutions when you divide by 0. When you divide both sides by sin x, you are dividing by 0 if x = 0, pi, 2pi, etc., and division by 0 is illegal. Instead, the typical trick for these cases is to factor.

sin(x)cos(x) = sin(x) => sin(x)cos(x) - sin(x) = 0 => sin(x)(cos(x)-1) = 0. Here, we see clearly that we have solutions whenever sin(x) = 0 or cos(x) - 1 = 0.

6. Oct 23, 2008 #5
    Ohhhh, okay, I think I get what you're saying. Because I cancelled out the sin x term and not just factored it, I lost it; same idea as solving for x -> (x+2)(x+4)=0 ; x=-2 or -4; in this example I divided out the (x+4) and only arrived that x=-2, ignoring the (x+4), which I can't forget about....

Okay, I think I get it....I felt that little light bulb go off. I know where to come if I run into more trouble.

Thanks all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?