Trigonometry Review: Conflict Answer, Probably Me

In summary, jhicks and Tedjn explain that x=0 and 2pi (in radians) satisfy the equation sin x = tan x. The problem is with the answer key. When jhicks does the same thing as Tedjn, but with x=pi, the equation sin x = tan x works out to 0=0, which is certainly true.
CougarXLS
SOLVED! Thank-you jhicks and Tedjn!

I am taking a basic calculus course and have some weaknesses when it comes to trigonometry. In this case, it's pure trig.

Homework Statement

The question states: "Find all values of x in the interval [0,2pi] that satisfy the equation sin x = tan x".

Homework Equations

I do know that: tan x = sin x / cos x

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I know that tan x = sin x / cos x, I can rewrite the above equation sin x = tan x to:
sin x = sin x / cos x
Rearranging and canceling terms, I get:
cos x = 1
So my answer to this problem would be x = 0 and 2pi (in radians, of course), that satisfy the given interval.
I based this answer on the "Trig Functions of Important Angles" and worked out the multiples of pi that satisfied the equation cos x = 1.

My problem is (lol, isn't it always) with the answer key. While they agree that 0 and 2pi are correct, they also add pi. Why? When I consider the cosine of pi (in radians), I get -1, not one. Pi doesn't seem to agree with cos x = 1 when x=pi.
Yet, when I work out sin x = tan x, using x=pi, it works out to 0=0, which is certainly true. How did I miss it? Where'd I go wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't ever divide out terms like that. You get rid of roots when that happens. In this case, your modified equation fails to see that 0 = 0/-1

jhicks... not sure what you're getting at. Here's what I did when I said I "Rearranged and canceled" terms:

sin x = sin x / cos x (because tan x = sin x / cos x)
sin x * cos x = sin x (multiply both sides by cos x)
cos x = sin x / sin x (divide both sides by sin x)
cos x = 1 (left with... cos x = 1)

When you say, "Don't ever divide out terms like that. You get rid of roots when that happens. In this case, your modified equation fails to see that 0 = 0/-1", I don't understand. Could you please elaborate?

You lose solutions when you divide by 0. When you divide both sides by sin x, you are dividing by 0 if x = 0, pi, 2pi, etc., and division by 0 is illegal. Instead, the typical trick for these cases is to factor.

sin(x)cos(x) = sin(x) => sin(x)cos(x) - sin(x) = 0 => sin(x)(cos(x)-1) = 0. Here, we see clearly that we have solutions whenever sin(x) = 0 or cos(x) - 1 = 0.

Ohhhh, okay, I think I get what you're saying. Because I canceled out the sin x term and not just factored it, I lost it; same idea as solving for x -> (x+2)(x+4)=0 ; x=-2 or -4; in this example I divided out the (x+4) and only arrived that x=-2, ignoring the (x+4), which I can't forget about...

Okay, I think I get it...I felt that little light bulb go off. I know where to come if I run into more trouble.

Thanks all!

1. What is Trigonometry Review: Conflict Answer, Probably Me?

Trigonometry Review: Conflict Answer, Probably Me is a review of basic trigonometry concepts and their applications in real-world scenarios. It focuses on solving problems related to conflicts or challenges in various fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation.

2. Why is Trigonometry Review: Conflict Answer, Probably Me important?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of relationships between angles and sides of triangles. It has various applications in different fields, making it an essential subject to understand for students pursuing careers in science, engineering, and mathematics.

3. What topics are covered in Trigonometry Review: Conflict Answer, Probably Me?

This review covers topics such as trigonometric ratios, Pythagorean theorem, solving triangles, inverse trigonometric functions, and applications of trigonometry in real-world scenarios. It also includes practice problems to reinforce understanding and application of these concepts.

4. Is Trigonometry Review: Conflict Answer, Probably Me suitable for all levels?

Trigonometry Review: Conflict Answer, Probably Me is designed for students who already have a basic understanding of trigonometry concepts. It is suitable for high school and college-level students who need a refresher on the subject or want to improve their problem-solving skills.

5. How can I use Trigonometry Review: Conflict Answer, Probably Me to improve my understanding of trigonometry?

Trigonometry Review: Conflict Answer, Probably Me can be used as a study guide to review and reinforce the key concepts of trigonometry. It provides practice problems with step-by-step solutions, which can help improve problem-solving skills and enhance understanding of the subject.