Expand a Trinomial Using Sigma Notation - 2 Examples

• Thread starter dilan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of expanding a trinomial using the formula method and the request for help with two examples. The provided solution involves defining variables and using the general sigma notation method to find coefficients for higher degree polynomials.
dilan
I find it difficult to expand a trinomial using the formula method (factorial method) where you can find the coefficient of any term without expanding the whole trinomial.
I can understand the binomial, but I can't do the trinomial using the general sigma notation method.
Can someone please show me how to do this by using about 2 examples?

Thanks alot:smile:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
anyone can help me? :(

Let your numbers be a,b,c. Define d=b+c. Then, we have:
[tex](a+b+c)^{N}=(a+d)^{N}=\sum_{i=0}^{N}\binom{N}{i}a^{(N-i)}d^{i}=\sum_{i=0}^{N}\sum_{k=0}^{i}\binom{N}{i}\binom{i}{k}a^{(N-i)}b^{i-k}c^{k}[/tex]

Denote the powers of a,b,c as [itex]p_{a},p_{b},p_{c}[/itex], respectively.

We therefore have that N,i and k are given by:
[tex]k=p_{c},i=p_{b}+p_{c},N=p_{a}+p_{b}+p_{c}[/tex]
Thus, your coefficient, in terms of 3 powers are:
[tex]\binom{p_{a}+p_{b}+p_{c}}{p_{b}+p_{c}}\binom{p_{b}+p_{c}}{p_{c}}[/tex]

seeing this pattern should tell you how to find the coefficients for higher nomials.

Last edited:

FAQ: Expand a Trinomial Using Sigma Notation - 2 Examples

1. What is sigma notation and how is it used to expand a trinomial?

Sigma notation is a mathematical notation used to represent a sum of terms. It is often used to shorten and simplify lengthy expressions. In the context of expanding a trinomial, sigma notation can be used to represent the coefficients and variables in a concise manner, making it easier to identify patterns and simplify the expression.

2. Can you provide an example of expanding a trinomial using sigma notation?

Yes, for example, if we have the trinomial (2x + 3y + 4z)^3, we can use sigma notation to expand it as ∑(n=0)^3 (2x)^n(3y)^3-n(4z)^n, which can then be simplified to 8x^3 + 36xy^2 + 54y^3 + 48xz + 72yz + 64z^2.

3. What are the benefits of using sigma notation to expand a trinomial?

Using sigma notation can help identify patterns and make it easier to simplify the expression. It also saves time and reduces the chances of making errors when expanding lengthy expressions. Additionally, it allows for a more concise representation of the trinomial, making it easier to understand and work with.

4. Are there any limitations to using sigma notation to expand a trinomial?

Sigma notation may not be suitable for all types of trinomials, especially those with more complex terms or those involving exponents. In such cases, other methods may be more appropriate for expanding the trinomial. Additionally, sigma notation may not be familiar to some individuals, which could make it difficult to understand the expanded expression.

5. How can I check if my expanded trinomial using sigma notation is correct?

You can check your expanded expression by simplifying it and comparing it to the original trinomial. You can also use a calculator or software that supports sigma notation to verify the result. It is important to double-check your work to ensure that there are no errors in the expansion process.