Triple integral and charge density

In summary, the total electric charge in a layer of ions bounded by the planes x+2y+2z=4 and x+3y+3z=3 is constant, and the surface charge density is also constant in planes parallel to those planes.
Dan7620
Alright guys I am looking for some help with this problem regarding calculating total electric charge in a layer of ions. This layer of ions is bounded between the planes x+2y+2z=4 and x+3y+3z=3, and by the 3 co-ordinate planes. The density of the ions is rises linearly from zero at the outer plane ( x+2y+2z=4) and increases linearly to 10^15 at the inner plane (x+3y+3z=4). Furthermore, the surface charge density is constant in planes parallel to the planes x+2y+2z=4 and x+3y+3z=4.

I see that in order to calculate the total electric charge I must compute a triple integral of the charge density, however I'm trying to find an expression for the charge density function. Could anybody help me with writing density (as a function of x,y,z) based upon the information given in the first paragraph? Not looking for the final answer here, just some instruction. Thank you :)

PS. I wasn't sure whether this should be posted here or in the electrical section, sorry just in case.

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT: the second plane, x+3y+3z=3 is incorrect, as it is not parallel to the first one, x+2y+2z=4 (it should be).

As you have said, the two planes aren't parallel, and the boundaries of the required volume isn't specified. If the two planes are suppposed to be parallel, you don't have to resort to fancy triple integration to find total charge. Just find the perpendicular distance between the 2 plane, and then you can easily do an integration in one variable to find the charge stored in a volume element Adx, where dx is an incremental thickness.

Should have rewritten it as the integral: [tex]\int^{x_2}_{x_1} \lambda (x) A dx[/tex] where [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the total charge per infinitesimal sheet between the 2 planes.

Ah ok, thanks alot, much simpler.

1. What is a triple integral and how is it used in science?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape or region. It involves integrating a function over three variables, typically denoted as ∭f(x,y,z) dx dy dz. In science, triple integrals are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to calculate the volume of complex objects or to solve problems involving multiple variables.

2. How is charge density related to triple integrals?

Charge density is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit volume. It is typically denoted as ρ and is often used in conjunction with triple integrals to calculate the total charge of a three-dimensional object or region. The triple integral of ρ over a given volume is equal to the total charge contained within that volume.

3. What is the process for setting up a triple integral to calculate charge density?

The first step in setting up a triple integral for calculating charge density is to determine the limits of integration for each of the three variables (x, y, and z). This is usually done by visualizing the three-dimensional shape or region and identifying the boundaries for each variable. Then, the charge density function ρ(x,y,z) is integrated over these limits using the triple integral notation ∭ρ(x,y,z) dx dy dz.

4. Can triple integrals be used for non-uniform charge density?

Yes, triple integrals can be used for both uniform and non-uniform charge density. In the case of non-uniform charge density, the function ρ(x,y,z) will vary throughout the volume and will need to be integrated over the entire region to calculate the total charge. This can be more complex and may require breaking the region into smaller subregions with uniform charge density.

5. How is the concept of triple integrals applied in real-world situations?

Triple integrals are applied in a variety of real-world situations in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, they can be used to calculate the mass of a three-dimensional object, the electric field strength at a point, or the volume of a fluid flowing through a complex system. Triple integrals are also commonly used in computer graphics to render three-dimensional images and simulations.