1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Triple Integral Using Cylindrical Coordinates

1. Feb 24, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A conical container with radius 1, height 2 and with its base centred on the ground
    at the origin contains food. The density of the food at any given point is given by
    D(r) = a/(z + 1) where a is a constant and z is the height above the base.
    Using cylindrical polar coordinates, calculate the total mass of food in the container.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    ok so mass is the integral D(r)dV, and in cylindrical coordinates dV is rdrd[tex]\theta[/tex]dz

I thought that you could probably do:
    [tex]\int^1_0 \,dr[/tex][tex]\int^{2\pi}_0 \,d\theta[/tex][tex]\int^{2r-2}_0 \,dz[/tex]

[tex](ra/(z+1))[/tex]

But this makes the integral very difficult and I don't think it's right. I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with my limits on dz. Any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi henryc09! :smile:
    Yes, you've integrated from z = 0 to z = 2r - 2 …

why?? :confused:

z doesn't depend on r, the limits of z are the same for all r. :wink:

4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    OK so how do I work out the limits of z? It can't just be from 0-2 because that would make it a cylinder? Still a bit confused.

5. Feb 25, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi henryc09! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
    I'm sorry … somehow I read it as a cylinder. :redface:

Yes, your limits were correct.

They should lead you to an integral of rlog(2r-1) … you can use integration by parts on that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook