Triple integrating cylindrical coordinates?

In summary, the question asks to integrate the function f(x,y,z)=-4x+3y over a solid given by a figure. The solution involves converting to cylindrical coordinates and integrating with limits of arctan(1/5) to pi-arctan(1/5) for theta, 0 to 2 for z, and 0 to sqrt(26) for r. The simplified answer is 1040.
blackdarkeye

Homework Statement

Integrate the function f(x,y,z)=−4x+3y over the solid given by the figure below, if P = (5,1,0) and Q = (-5,1,2).

[PLAIN]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/958/sfig1681g1.gif

Homework Equations

x=rcos([tex]\theta[/tex])
y=rsin([tex]\theta[/tex])
r=sqrt(x^2+y^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

i converted it into cylindracl coordinates and got

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] -4rcos([tex]\theta[/tex])+3rsin([tex]\theta[/tex]) r dzdrd[tex]\theta[/tex]

limits were arctan(-1/5)<[tex]\theta[/tex]<arctan(1/5), 0<z<2, 0<r<[tex]\sqrt{26}[/tex]

after integrating i got

-(8/3)(26^(3/2))sin(atan(1/5))-(2)(26^(3/2))cos(atan(1/5))+(8/3)(26^(3/2))sin(atan(-1/5))+(2)(26^(3/2))cos(atan(-1/5))

but apparently that is wrong. I need help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your setup looks good. I didn't work out the integral to see if you are correct or not, but I wonder if you are aware that you can simplify your sine and cosine of the arctan angles. Draw a picture of those two angles and put in their sine and cosine in your answer. Maybe it is correct and you don't know it. Or maybe not.

i have the same problem and I can't seem to get the right answer .. I'm entering the answer in so it doesn't really matter if it's simplified or not

Upon looking more carefully, your theta limits are not correct. Rember that arctan(x) returns a negative angle if x < 0. Your angle needs to go from the first quadrant to the second. So your lower limit would be arctan(1/5) and your upper limit would be pi - arctan(1/5).

Maple is giving an answer of 1040 if I didn't make any mistakes.

1. What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a type of three-dimensional coordinate system that uses a distance from a point, an angle from a reference direction, and a height from a reference plane to locate a point in space. They are often used in mathematics and physics to describe the positions and movements of objects in three-dimensional space.

2. How do you convert rectangular coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

To convert from rectangular coordinates (x, y, z) to cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z), you can use the following formulas: r = sqrt(x^2 + y^2), θ = arctan(y/x), and z = z. This means that the distance from the origin is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the x and y coordinates, the angle from the positive x-axis is equal to the inverse tangent of the y and x coordinates, and the z coordinate remains the same.

3. What is the purpose of triple integrating in cylindrical coordinates?

Triple integrating in cylindrical coordinates is used to find the volume under a three-dimensional function or surface. It is especially useful for finding volumes of objects with circular symmetry, such as cylinders, cones, and spheres. By setting up the integral in cylindrical coordinates, the calculations become simpler and more efficient.

4. How do you set up a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates?

To set up a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates, you first need to define the limits of integration. The limits for r will depend on the shape of the region in the xy-plane, the limits for θ will depend on the angle of rotation, and the limits for z will depend on the height of the region. Once the limits are determined, the integral can be written as ∫∫∫ f(r, θ, z) r dz dr dθ, where f(r, θ, z) is the function being integrated.

5. What are some real-world applications of triple integrating in cylindrical coordinates?

Triple integrating in cylindrical coordinates has many practical applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. It can be used to calculate volumes of objects with circular cross-sections, such as pipes or tunnels. It is also used in fluid mechanics to find the flow rate of liquids or gases in cylindrical containers. Additionally, it is used in electromagnetism to calculate the electric and magnetic fields around cylindrical conductors or antennas.