Triple Integral Problem in Cylindrical Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses using cylindrical coordinates to find the volume of a solid created by a cylinder with a radius of 3cos/theta cutting out of a sphere with a radius of 3 centered at the origin. The conversation also addresses the question of why theta is evaluated from 0 to pi instead of 0 to 2pi. The solution is attempted and it is discovered that the integral should have been evaluated from 0 to pi instead of 0 to 2pi due to the symmetry of the graph. A polar coordinate graph is also mentioned to further understand this concept.
James Brady

Homework Statement

Use cylindrical coordinates to find the volume of the solid that the cylinder
r = 3cos/theta cuts out of the sphere of radius 3 centered at the origin.

Homework Equations

Why do we evaluate theta from 0 to pi instead of from 0 to 2pi? Don't we want to go all the way around the circle?

The Attempt at a Solution

x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + y[itex]^{2}[/itex] + z[itex]^{2}[/itex] = 9

so z = [itex]\sqrt{9 - x^2 + y^2}[/itex]

z = [itex]\sqrt{9 - r^2}[/itex]

2[itex]\int^{2pi}_{0}\int^{3cos(Θ)}_{0}\int^{sqrt(9 - r^2)}_{0}rdzdrdΘ[/itex]

Instead of integrating from the bottom on the sphere to the top, I did from the x-y plane to the top and multiplied by two to take advantage of symmetry.

[itex]\int^{2pi}_{0}\int^{3cos(Θ)}_{0}2rsqrt(9 - r^2)drdΘ[/itex]

[itex]\int^{2pi}_{0}-(\frac{2}{3})(9 - r^2)^{3/2}|^{3cos(Θ)}_{0}dΘ[/itex]

[itex]\int^{2pi}_{0}-(\frac{2}{3})(9 - 9cos^{2})^{3/2} - \frac{-2}{3}9^{3/2}dΘ[/itex]

The integral goes on and eventually reduces to...

18Θ + 18cosΘ + [itex]\frac{1}{3}[/itex]cos[itex]^{3}[/itex]Θ|[itex]^{2pi}_{0}[/itex]

This gives a value of 113, which is double the correct answer. I'm assuming this is because I was suppose to integrate from 0 to pi instead of from 0 to 2pi, but I don't know why. Aren't we suppose to go around the whole circle with this thing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a polar coordinate graph of ##r = 3\cos\theta##. Do ##\theta## from ##-\pi/2## to ##\pi/2## and see what you think.

Likes 1 person
Ahh... I see it. Thanks.

What is a triple integral problem in cylindrical coordinates?

A triple integral problem in cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical problem that involves finding the volume under a three-dimensional surface, using cylindrical coordinates instead of the traditional Cartesian coordinates. This can be useful when dealing with objects or surfaces that have cylindrical symmetry.

How do I convert from Cartesian coordinates to cylindrical coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to cylindrical coordinates (r, θ, z), you can use the following equations:r = √(x² + y²)θ = arctan(y/x)z = zNote that the value of θ may need to be adjusted to be within the appropriate range for the problem.

What are the limits of integration for a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates?

The limits of integration for a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates depend on the shape of the region being integrated. In general, the limits for r will be from 0 to the radius of the region, the limits for θ will be from 0 to 2π, and the limits for z will be from the bottom of the region to the top.

How do I set up a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates?

To set up a triple integral in cylindrical coordinates, you will need to determine the appropriate function to integrate, the limits of integration, and any necessary adjustments to the variables (such as changing θ to be within the appropriate range). Once you have these components, you can write the integral as: ∫∫∫f(r, θ, z) dr dθ dz.

Are there any applications of triple integrals in cylindrical coordinates?

Yes, there are many applications of triple integrals in cylindrical coordinates in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. Some examples include calculating the mass or density of an object with cylindrical symmetry, determining the electric field around a charged cylinder, and finding the volume of a cylindrical tank or pipe.