Trisectible angles | divisibility

In summary, if \theta is trisectible (with straightedge and compass), then \theta/3 is constructible. But is it also true that if \theta/3 is constructible, then \theta is trisectible (with straightedge and compass)? If so, then I can say that since 15o is constructible, we have that 45 o is trisectible, right? (because we can copy an angle of 15o three times, thus trisecting the angle 45 o)
kingwinner
1) We know that if [itex]\theta[/itex] is trisectible (with straightedge and compass), then [itex]\theta[/itex]/3 is constructible.

But is it also true that if [itex]\theta[/itex]/3 is constructible, then [itex]\theta[/itex] is trisectible (with straightedge and compass)?

If so, then I can say that since 15o is constructible, we have that 45 o is trisectible, right? (because we can copy an angle of 15o three times, thus trisecting the angle 45 o)

2) Let m,n be integers.
Then m|3n3 => m|n
and n|28n3 => n|m

I spent half an hour thinking about this, but I still have no clue...
Why are the implications (=>) true? Can someone please explain?

3) How can I prove that the acute angle whose cosine is 1/10 is constructible?
I know that if [itex]\theta[/itex] is constructible, then cos[itex]\theta[/itex] is constructible. But is the converse true? Why or why not?

Any help is appreciated!:smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For 1) your logic seems right. For 2), I don't see how the statements are true--are there any other qualifying statements? For example, in the first case, what if m = n2? Or what if m = 3 and n = 2?

1) So is it true that [itex]\theta[/itex] is trisectible (with straightedge and compass) IF AND ONLY IF [itex]\theta[/itex]/3 is constructible (with straightedge and compass)?

2) The whole situtation is this:
http://www.geocities.com/asdfasdf23135/absmath1.jpg
I circled the parts in red which corresopnds to what I've included in my top post.
I don't understand why:
m|3n3 => m|n
and n|28n3 => n|m
where m,n are integers.

Can anyone help?

Can someone please help me with Q3 as well?

I am sure someone here understands it. Please help!

Still wondering...

Isn't your first question essentially, "Can you construct an integer multiple of a constructable angle?" Well...can you?

1) I think that if [itex]\theta[/itex]/3 is constructible, then we can trisect [itex]\theta[/itex] with straightedge and compass by copying the angle [itex]\theta[/itex]/3 two times (since we can always copy any angle with straightedge and compass)

… cos^-1 of constructible number is constructible angle …

kingwinner said:
3) How can I prove that the acute angle whose cosine is 1/10 is constructible?

Hi kingwinner! :smile:

Any angle whose cosine is a constructible number between -1 and 1 (like 4/5 or 1/√2) is constructible!

Hint: draw a circle. Draw one radius. Mark 1/10 along that radius. And then … ? :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Hi kingwinner! :smile:

Any angle whose cosine is a constructible number between -1 and 1 (like 4/5 or 1/√2) is constructible!

Hint: draw a circle. Draw one radius. Mark 1/10 along that radius. And then … ? :smile:

And then erect a pernpendicular at that point to consturuct the angle? (since on the unit circle, x=cos(theta), where theta is counterclockwise from positive x-axis)

Yes! :smile:

(… why only three question marks? …)

3) So we have theta constructible if and only if cos(theta) is constructible

2) Let m,n be integers
m|3n3 => m|n
and n|28n3 => n|m
Do you think these are actually wrong implications? (i.e. whoever was writing the solutions got it wrong...)

Without additional assumptions on m and n, the implications aren't true...

1. Can all angles be trisected?

No, not all angles can be trisected. It is only possible to trisect certain angles, specifically those that are divisible by 3, such as 30°, 60°, 90°, etc.

2. What is the definition of a trisectible angle?

A trisectible angle is an angle that can be divided into three equal parts using only a straightedge and compass. This method is known as trisection.

3. Why is trisecting angles important in mathematics?

Trisecting angles is important in mathematics because it allows for the construction of certain geometric figures, such as a regular pentagon, which cannot be constructed without trisecting angles. It also has applications in engineering and architecture.

4. Is there a formula for trisecting angles?

No, there is no general formula for trisecting angles. The method of trisection involves constructing geometric constructions using a straightedge and compass, rather than using a formula.

5. Are there any other methods for trisecting angles?

Yes, there are other methods for trisecting angles, such as using a protractor and ruler, or using advanced mathematical concepts such as complex numbers. However, these methods are not as commonly used as the traditional method of trisection with a straightedge and compass.