1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trouble Understanding the Fourier Integral

1. Feb 17, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Trouble Understanding the Fourier Integral

I am having a bit of trouble understanding how to use the Fourier Integral Formula.

The integral is [tex]\int_{0}^{\infty} [A_{\omega}cos(\omega x) + B_{\omega}sin(\omega x)]d\omega[/tex]

[tex]A_{\omega} = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(\xi)cos(\omega\xi)d\xi[/tex]
    [tex]B_{\omega} = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(\xi)sin(\omega\xi)d\xi[/tex]

The example in the book doesn't help because f(x) is 1 for -1<=x<=1, and 0 for |x|>1. This doesn't clear up my confusion as to what the integral is supposed to look like with [tex]f(\xi)[/tex] inserted. What is [tex]f(\xi)[/tex]? Is it the function given, f(x)? Like if I had f(x) = sin(x) on [-2, 2], would A_w look like:

[tex]A_{\omega} = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-2}^{2} sin(x)cos(\omega\xi)d\xi[/tex],

with sin(x) being treated as a constant that can be brought outside the integral, or am I supposed to make A_w be

[tex]A_{\omega} = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-2}^{2} sin(x)cos(\omega x)dx[/tex]?

This is where I am confused.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2008 #2
    Your book gives: f(x) = 1 for values between -1 and 1. Lets just say you wanted to integrate this function:

eg. [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x)dx [/tex]
    This integral would reduce to: [tex] \int_{-1}^{1}dx [/tex] since it is zero outside of x=-1 and x=1 and is unity otherwise.

Note: You could also integrate this function as:
    [tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(\xi)d\xi[/tex]
    and you would get the same thing.

The [itex] \xi [/itex] is a dummy variable.

For example, imagine I wanted to define a quantity that was the area of an arbitrary rectangle. Lets call this number [tex] R_{AB} [/tex] where A and B are the lengths of the rectangle respectively.

Well I could simply define [tex] R_{AB} = R \times B[/tex] or I could also write it as:

[tex] R_{AB} = \int_0^A \int_0^B d\xi_1 d\xi_2 [/tex] Does that make sense? Its kinda like a loop.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2008
  4. Feb 17, 2008 #3
    I don't think I fully answered your question:

If you were to integrate:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(\xi)cos(\omega \xi) d\xi[/tex]

Lets let f(x) = 1 for x= 0 to 1 and f(x)=0 otherwise. Thus, your integral would become:

[tex] A = \int_{a}^{b} (1)cos(\omega \xi) d\xi[/tex]
    [tex] A = \frac{\sin b \omega }{\omega }-\frac{\sin a \omega }{\omega} [/tex]
  5. Feb 17, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Apparently you are confused over basic definitions. The notation [itex]f(\xi)[/itex] refers to the value that the function f takes when you substitute [itex]x = \xi[/itex], just like f(0) means: the value of f in x = 0, and f(12.4872) means: the value of f in x = 12.8472.
    So if you put that into the formula you gave, you get
    [tex]A_{\omega} = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_{-2}^{2} sin(\xi)cos(\omega\xi)d\xi[/tex].
  6. Feb 17, 2008 #5
    Yeah that's what I was having trouble understanding. Pretty simple actually, but it was late at night and my brain wasn't working. I don't know why I didn't see that in the first place. Thanks.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?