Trouble with an index change in Laurent series

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
saybrook1
Messages
101
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


Hey guys, I'm just going through a Laurent series example and I'm having trouble understanding how they switched the index on a summation from n=0 to n=1 and then switched the argument from z^(-n-1) to z^n as well as changing the upper limit to -infinity. If anyone could shed some light on that for me I would really appreciate it.[/B]

Homework Equations


http://imgur.com/0PkgLim

The Attempt at a Solution


I thought that if you changed the index to n=1 then the power on z should just move up one erasing the ^(-1) and I'm not sure how switching the limit to negative infinity changes anything. Thanks for any help.
 
Attachments
  • trouble with index change.jpg
    trouble with index change.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 458
Physics news on Phys.org
Try rewriting the summation in terms of ##k = -n-1##. What values does ##k## cover when ##n## goes from ##0## to ##\infty##?