1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classifying Singularities and the Laurent Series

1. Jun 10, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Classify the singularities of ##\frac{1}{z^2sinh(z)}## and describe the behaviour as z goes to infinity

Find the Laurent series of the above and find the region of convergence

2. Relevant equations

N/A
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought these two were essentially the same thing, but I'm being given a fair few marks for each question, so I'm convinced I must be over-simplifying it

For the first part, I used to Laurent expansion to get:

##\frac{1}{z^2sinh(z)} = \frac{1}{z^2(z+\frac{z^3}{3!}+\frac{z^5}{5!}+...)}##
    ##\frac{1}{z^2(z+\frac{z^3}{3!}+\frac{z^5}{5!}+...)}= \frac{1}{z^3(1+\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}+...)}##
    ##\frac{1}{z^3(1+\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}+...)}=\frac{1}{z^3}(1+\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}+...)^{-1}##
    ##\frac{1}{z^3}(1+\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}+...)^{-1}=\frac{1}{z^3}(1-\frac{z^2}{3!}-\frac{z^4}{5!}+(\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!})^2+...)##
    ##= \frac{1}{z^3} -\frac{1}{6z}+\frac{3z}{40}+....##

Hence, I got there to be an isolated singularity of order 3 at z=0, a simple pole of at z=0 and an essential singularity at ##z=\infinity##

So the behaviour as z goes to infinity is that the function is undefined? (I showed this by redefining a new variable ##\frac{1}{z}##

I just can't see what else to do, but for the number of marks it is worth, I don't feel I have done enough work

Also, Im not sure how to find the region of convergence

Many thanks

EDIT: Just had a thought- For the first part I could have written ##\frac{1}{z(i)(iz-\frac{1}{zi})}## ?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2016 #2

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Just a question for you: Is there only one value of [itex]z[/itex] where [itex]sinh(z) = 0[/itex]?

4. Jun 11, 2016 #3

Oh no of course! There are also poles every ##n \pi i## With order ##\frac{1}{n^2 \pi^2}## ?

5. Jun 11, 2016 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, that needs to be part of the answer to your homework problem. What is the expansion about [itex]z=n\pi\ i[/itex] for [itex]n \neq 0[/itex]?

6. Jun 11, 2016 #5
    Can we not just evaluate it at these points? Since the rest of the function will be analytic?

7. Jun 11, 2016 #6

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You wrote down an expansion in powers of [itex]z[/itex]. You need an expansion in powers of [itex]z-n\pi i[/itex] for the other poles.

If you have a pole at [itex]z=p[/itex], then the Laurent series is in powers of [itex](z-p)[/itex], not powers of [itex]z[/itex]

8. Jun 11, 2016 #7

Okay, so we can expand ##\frac {1}{z}= \frac{1}{n \pi i +z- n \pi i} = \frac{1}{n \pi i} (1+\frac{z-n \pi i}{n\pi i})^{-1}##
    ## = \frac{1}{n \pi i}(1-\frac{z-n \pi i}{n\pi i}+\frac{(z-n \pi i)^2}{(n\pi i)^2}+...)##

How would we expand sinhx such that the brackets of ##z-n \pi i## remain in the denominator

Many thanks

9. Jun 11, 2016 #8

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, since [itex]sinh[/itex] is periodic, the expansion in powers of [itex]z[/itex] is the same as the expansion in terms of [itex]z - n \pi i[/itex].

10. Jun 11, 2016 #9
    So ##sinhz= (z-n\pi i)+ \frac{(z-n \pi i)^3}{3!} +.... ## ?

11. Jun 11, 2016 #10

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes. You can see that by letting [itex]q = z - n \pi i[/itex]. Then [itex]sinh(z) = sinh(q + n \pi i) = sinh(q) = q + \frac{q^3}{3!} + ...[/itex]

12. Jun 11, 2016 #11
    Ah okay. Does this mean that strictly speaking this only has a taylor series about ##n \pi i## ? Also when calculating the residue (slightly off topic I'm afraid) about ##n \pi i## do you need to expand ##sinhz## or can we simply 'read off' the residue?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted