Trouble with deducing the contradiction

In summary, the conversation discusses the condition of integers x, y, z satisfying the equation 5|(x+y-z) and 2*5^{4}k=(x+y)(z-y)(z-x)((x+y)^2+(z-y)^2+(z-x)^2) or equivalently 5^{4}k=(x+y)(z-y)(z-x)((x+y-z)^2-xy+xz+yz). The goal is to prove that GCD(x,y,z)≠1 by showing that 5 divides all three numbers. The conversation also discusses the assumption of 5 dividing (x+y), (z-y), or (z-x) and the difficulty in assuming 5 divides the latter part
tt2348
Let x,y,z be integers satisfying a specific condition, which boils down to
[itex]5|(x+y-z)[/itex] and [itex]2*5^{4}k=(x+y)(z-y)(z-x)((x+y)^2+(z-y)^2+(z-x)^2)[/itex]
or equivalently [itex]5^{4}k=(x+y)(z-y)(z-x)((x+y-z)^2-xy+xz+yz)[/itex]
I want to show that GCD(x,y,z)≠1, starting with the assumption 5 dividing (x+y), (z-y), or (z-x) results in x,y or z being divisible by 5. then it's easy to show that 5 divides another term, implying 5 divides all three.
I run into trouble assuming 5 divides the latter part, [itex]2((x+y)^2+(z-y)^2+(z-x)^2)=((x+y-z)^2-xy+xz+yz)[/itex] and showing the contradiction from that point.
Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose 5 | a2+b2+c2. Each term individually must be 0, 1 or 4 mod 5. The only ways for three such to add to 0 mod 5 involve at least one of them being 0 mod 5, no?

1. How do I identify a contradiction in my deductive reasoning?

A contradiction occurs when two statements or pieces of evidence cannot both be true at the same time. This can be identified by carefully examining the logical connections and implications of the statements or evidence being used in the deduction.

2. What should I do if I encounter a contradiction in my research?

If you encounter a contradiction, it is important to re-evaluate your assumptions and evidence. Try to find any errors or gaps in your reasoning and address them. It may also be helpful to seek feedback from other researchers or experts in the field.

3. Can a contradiction ever be a valuable part of the scientific process?

Yes, encountering a contradiction can often lead to new insights and discoveries. It can prompt scientists to re-examine their theories and find new explanations or solutions. Therefore, contradictions can be an important part of the scientific process.

4. How can I avoid making incorrect deductions?

To avoid making incorrect deductions, it is important to carefully gather and analyze all available evidence, consider multiple perspectives, and critically evaluate your reasoning process. It can also be helpful to consult with other scientists and seek peer review.

5. Can a contradiction ever be resolved in science?

Yes, a contradiction can often be resolved through further research and experimentation. By gathering more evidence and considering alternative explanations, scientists can often find a solution that resolves the contradiction and strengthens their conclusions.