Trouble with the definitions of equivalent and collinear.

In summary, the definitions of equivalent and collinear vectors differ between the teacher, textbook, and the internet. The teacher defines equivalent vectors as parallel vectors with the same magnitude, while the textbook defines them as vectors in the same direction. For collinear vectors, the textbook says they can be translated to have the same start and end points on a line, while the teacher defines them as scalar multiples of each other. The confusion arises because a vector does not have a line of action, but rather a magnitude and orientation. However, the two definitions are equivalent if we consider localized vectors with a specified line of action.
Esoremada
My teacher, textbook and the internet have differing definitions.

First of all: Equivalent.

My teacher says that two parallel vectors with the same magnitude are equivalent, but my textbook says that two vectors in the same direction are equivalent.

×-->
<--×

are these equivalent?And Collinear.

I can't find any lesson on collinear vectors online. All the definitions say two points are collinear when they lie on the same line, but nothing about vectors.

My textbook says "Vectors are collinear if they can be translated so that their start and end points lie on the same line"

But my teacher says two vectors are collinear if one is a scalar multiple of the other

So first, to clarify, magnitude has no impact on whether two vectors are collinear?

And second, the textbook definition seems to be describing parallel vectors.

×-->
×----->

Are these collinear? They can be translated to be on the same line.<---×--->

Are these collinear? They are scalar multiples (negative 1) of each other.<---× ×--->

What about these?

Physics news on Phys.org
Esoremada said:
First of all: Equivalent.

My teacher says that two parallel vectors with the same magnitude are equivalent, but my textbook says that two vectors in the same direction are equivalent.

And Collinear.

My textbook says "Vectors are collinear if they can be translated so that their start and end points lie on the same line"
But my teacher says two vectors are collinear if one is a scalar multiple of the other
I'm not familiar with the term 'equivalent vector'.
The confusion arises because a vector does not have a 'line of action'. It has a magnitude and an orientation only. A force has a line of action, so is more than just its vector representation.
I do see references to 'localized vectors', meaning that the line of action is also specified.

It doesn't mean anything to 'translate' a vector unless you mean localized vectors. You can translate a force by changing its line of action. If you ignore the reference to translation, the two definitions of collinear are the same.

Similarly, if two vectors have the same magnitude and direction they are the same vector, whereas if we're discussing localized vectors then they are merely equivalent, i.e., correspond to the same non-localized vector.

1. What is the difference between equivalent and collinear?

Equivalent refers to two objects or shapes that have the same size, shape, and measurements, but may be oriented differently. Collinear, on the other hand, refers to three or more points that lie on the same straight line.

2. Can two equivalent shapes be collinear?

No, two equivalent shapes do not have to be collinear. They can have the same size and shape, but be oriented differently. Collinear refers to points on a line, while equivalent refers to the overall shape.

3. Are all collinear points equivalent?

No, not all collinear points are equivalent. Collinear points simply lie on the same line, while equivalent refers to the overall shape and measurements of an object.

4. How can you determine if two shapes are equivalent or collinear?

To determine if two shapes are equivalent, you can compare their measurements and angles. If they are the same, then the shapes are equivalent. To determine if points are collinear, you can draw a line through them and see if they all lie on the same line.

5. Why is it important to understand the difference between equivalent and collinear?

Understanding the difference between equivalent and collinear is important in geometry and other fields of science as it helps us accurately describe and measure shapes and objects. It also allows us to make precise calculations and predictions based on their properties.