Troubleshooting Microcontroller Resets for Car Radio Repair

In summary, the MC68HC11KA4-SMART-GRUNDIG-OE57S seems to have a reset problem. The transistor CT2061 is probably not functioning properly because of the heavy load on the CIC2051 voltage regulator.
Guineafowl
Hi all,

Trying to fix a car radio (Grundig beta 5) for a local lad who wants it for his car. When you press the soft power button, some jumbled segments appear on the display, then it shuts down.

I'm wondering if the microcontroller is not getting a reset signal. It's labelled OE57S. How do I find the reset pin to check this?

Also, any other troubleshooting tips would be very helpful!

Many thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Google ' MC68HC11KA4-SMART- GRUNDIG- OE57S '

Likes Guineafowl
Nidum said:
Google ' MC68HC11KA4-SMART- GRUNDIG- OE57S '
I have done so - lots of pages in Polish, for some reason - but no pinout.

Try looking for data on the basic module : MC68HC11 .

Nidum said:
Try looking for data on the basic module : MC68HC11 .
Thanks - that revealed some pinouts, but not the right one.

Written on the chip is:
[Motorola symbol]
VW BETA 5
BY GRUNDIG
OE57S
QQFG9815

It's a 68-pin package.

You probably saw this one : http://www.nxp.com/assets/documents/data/en/data-sheets/M68HC11E.pdf

The only other thing that I can think of is to try searching on 'Grundig car radio data sheets '

Thanks to you both, I found the reset pin (58) and, with a bit of fiddling, caught a 5V-0V-5V 'blip' on my CRO as I pressed the power button.

Seems like the controller is being reset at power on.

Where would you go from here?

IMG_0362.PNG

Further to this, I'm no longer sure the reset is working. In the above schematic, transistor CT2061's base and emitter start low, then pulse high on pressing the power button, indicating a healthy reset input signal. However, the collector does not - it starts high, maybe 'blips' slightly on power-on, but never fully drops low. I've replaced it to no avail. Why might this be happening?

Guineafowl said:
Why might this be happening?
Because CIC2051 is a voltage regulator with +5V output on pin 8. Both it and CT2061 appear to be operating normally.

On the schematic, signal "+G" is shown as having 5V on it, presumably this is during normal operation or there would be a note or waveform shown.
Since "+G" is only a pulse and it is controlled by by signal "+S", find out why "+S" is a pulse and not a level.

The "-RESET" signal is generated on CIC2051 pin 7. It is the inversion of CIC2051 input pin2.

Edit Since CIC2051 regulator has overcurrent protection built into it, there could be a heavy load causing it to shut down. Prime suspects for a heavy load are the filter capacitors on the "+G" line. Visually inspect the electrolytic capacitors for leakage (white residue near the leads) or a deformed case (bulging top on upright capacitors.)end Edit

Last edited:
Likes Guineafowl
CT2061 is for switching a 5V rail (+G) on and off. If you are seeing a glitch on the collector then everything goes dead that seems to indicate a short on the switched rail.

BoB

Likes Guineafowl

1. What is a pinout for a microcontroller?

A pinout for a microcontroller refers to the arrangement and function of the pins on the microcontroller's package. It outlines the purpose of each pin and how it can be used to interface with external components.

2. Why is understanding the pinout important for working with microcontrollers?

Understanding the pinout of a microcontroller is crucial for designing and implementing circuits that use the microcontroller. It allows for proper connection and communication between the microcontroller and other components, ensuring the correct functionality of the system.

3. How can I find the pinout for a specific microcontroller?

The pinout for a specific microcontroller can usually be found in its datasheet, which is provided by the manufacturer. It can also be found through online resources or by contacting the manufacturer directly.

4. Are all microcontrollers' pinouts the same?

No, microcontrollers from different manufacturers or even different models from the same manufacturer may have different pinouts. It is important to always refer to the specific datasheet for the correct pinout.

5. Can the pinout of a microcontroller be changed?

No, the pinout of a microcontroller is fixed and cannot be changed. However, some microcontrollers have multiple pins that can be configured for different functions, allowing for flexibility in their use.

Back