1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

True/false exam, they got 5/16 but i got 1/4, probability

1. Nov 10, 2006 #1
    Ello ello!

I'm not sure how they are getting 5/16 as the answer.

The question is:
    Suppose you take a true/false quiz consisting of four questions, each worth 25%. If a score of 50% or less fails the quiz, what is the probabillity that you can pass the quiz by randomly guessing each answer?

Well here is how I broke it down...
    If you get a 50% or less you fail, so you need at least 3 out of the 4 right to get a 75%.

I then thought, how many possible outcomes are there? Well its like tossing a coin, its either Head or Tails or in this case True or False so you have:
    2^4 = 16 possible outcomes.

Now I thought to use combinations, you want 4 choose 3,

Step 1: Choose first question (T or F)
    Step 2: Choose 2nd question (T or F)
    Step 3: choose 3rd qustion (T or F)
    Step 4: choose 4th question (T or F)

but I soon realized I dont' think i can apply the multiplication rule on this, there are too many cases so i tried combinations and i said:

4 choose 3 = 4. So the probabily i said was:
    4/16 = 1/4.

But the answer is 5/16.

ANy ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2006 #2
    Looks fine, but you forgot the case where you get all 4 answers right. There is only one case when this happens (4 choose 4 if you want to think of it that way) thus you will get one more and so the probability will be 5/16.

4. Nov 11, 2006 #3
    wewt, I forgot all about that, thanks again! I'll send you money via pay pal :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?