1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

True/false question on integration

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    Let f(x) > 0 be a continuous function. Then F(x) = ∫f(t) dt ≥ 0 [0, x] for all values of x.

I would have chosen true, but the answer is false. If f(x) is always positive, then how can the integral ever be negative?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

is this answer in a book or the prof said so?

is the t going from 0 to x or x to 0? that could be the difference.

4. Feb 6, 2012 #3
    It is part of an old exam, the solutions say that the answer is false.

5. Feb 6, 2012 #4

jedishrfu

then its probably due to whether its evaluated from 0..x or x..0

6. Feb 6, 2012 #5
    The bottom limit on the integral is 0 and the top limit is x.

7. Feb 6, 2012 #6

jedishrfu

okay so is f(x) real or complex?

8. Feb 6, 2012 #7
    We haven't discussed the differences between real and complex integrals, so it's real.

9. Feb 6, 2012 #8

jedishrfu

I can't think of any other trick so I think you're right and I'd go with that. You could ask a teacher about it.

For f(x)>0 then conceptually sum of the vertical strip areas from 0 to x would make the answer positive. The trick is looking for some way to have ( F(x) - F(0) ) < 0 but ( F(x) - F(0) ) is the area vertical strip areas from 0 to x.

So given that f(x) is real then the only way is for the integral to be negative is if its evaluated from x to 0, Since it wasn't explicitly shown at least in your example.

10. Feb 6, 2012 #9
    I think I may have gotten it. Is it because x can be any value, so that the integral can go from 0 to -3, for example, where we would receive a negative value?

11. Feb 6, 2012 #10

jedishrfu

perhaps but wouldn't the closed interval be written as [x,0] to imply that x<0

12. Feb 6, 2012 #11

Bacle2

Science Advisor

If you're going in the standard direction [0,x] , then your F(x) is positive:

F(x):=∫x0 f(t)dt

So F(0)=0 ; F'(x)=f(x) , by FTCalculus, and f(x)>0 by assumption.

If x<0 , then F(x)<0 by same argument.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook