Try Ratpoison, It's Good for You

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
In summary, Ratpoison is an ultra-minimal window manager for Linux/Unix that is keyboard driven. It is not recommended for entrenched GUI users, but is a good choice for those who prefer Vim or Emacs' split window feature on their desktop. Ratpoison also works well with HMDs and Twiddlers. It is a simple and efficient tool for managing windows on your desktop. Additionally, the conversation also includes discussions on other text editors like mocp, vi, and Emacs. It is suggested that vi is a practical choice for those who frequently work on UNIX systems, as it is more universally available and has fewer dependencies compared to Emacs. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of having a rudimentary familiarity with vi, as
dduardo
Staff Emeritus
Ratpoison is an ultra-minimal window manager for Linux/Unix that is keyboard driven. If your like me and like Vim's (or Emacs') split window feature and want this capability on your desktop, then Ratpoison is the WM for you.

http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/

Warning: Not for the entrenched GUI user.

Computer science news on Phys.org
That might work well with an HMD and a Twiddler, eh?

A little too minimalistic for me. I can live with fluxbox. :smile:

Yeah, but you get used to it. I've recently been exchanging gui programs for command-line versions. For example, I use mocp for music, as compared to xmms. It is a daemon that runs in the background and runs through my playlist. Very simple and does its job well.

Last edited:
Got a link to mocp? Can't seem to find it easily on Google. :smile:

I used to run mplayer in the background for a while long ago when my X turned unstable. Though it understood .m3u and .pls, playlist control was thin. I switched back to XMMS pretty soon. :-p

dduardo said:
Ratpoison is an ultra-minimal window manager for Linux/Unix that is keyboard driven. If your like me and like Vim's (or Emacs') split window feature and want this capability on your desktop, then Ratpoison is the WM for you.

http://www.nongnu.org/ratpoison/

Warning: Not for the entrenched GUI user.

I was actually able to find Vim for windows (GVim) and it works great! :)

'vi' is the real man's editor. Forget any of that 'vim' stuff.

graphic7 said:
'vi' is the real man's editor. Forget any of that 'vim' stuff.

Your just a bitter emacs user. :devil:

dduardo said:
Your just a bitter emacs user. :devil:

Actually I despise emacs more than I do vim, however I consider them both terrible. I prefer the original vi, vi on UNIX systems, and nvi on free UNIX derivatives. Even with all the flaws, I still like the original.

I don't know what it is about Window Managers, but people complain if they don't get a screenshot. I've told them again and again that ratpoison doesn't have anything to take a screenshot of, but still they insist.

This cracked me up, lol. Anyway, I don't like it that much so I'll stick with GNOME when I get round to installing Linux again. Oh, I despise vi and I find Emacs much easier to use :D.

Nylex said:
This cracked me up, lol. Anyway, I don't like it that much so I'll stick with GNOME when I get round to installing Linux again. Oh, I despise vi and I find Emacs much easier to use :D.

It's not a matter of ease of use. It's a matter of being able to go to any UNIX/free-UNIX system in existence and being able to edit a text file. In case the system is pre-POSIX, there's always ed or ex.

Emacs is bloated and the chances of finding it on non-Linux systems is non-existent.

graphic7 said:
It's not a matter of ease of use. It's a matter of being able to go to any UNIX/free-UNIX system in existence and being able to edit a text file. In case the system is pre-POSIX, there's always ed or ex.

Emacs is bloated and the chances of finding it on non-Linux systems is non-existent.

Warning! Personal preference != universal measure of goodness. Don't make the same mistake you see in every other emacs vs. vi "debate". :rolleyes:

master_coda,

graphic7 has a very valid point. I used to work with a lot of UNIX-based supercomputers, and, while a few had emacs or some other editor installed, the vast majority did not. Their system administrators would remotely mount the server filesystems on their desktop workstations, and that's where all their cushy GUI editors were installed. If you had to drag a crash cart up to the back of the computer and plug into its serial console, you had only vi at your disposal.

Of course vi is not necessarily good, just ubiquitous. If you have a better editor around, use it -- whatever anyone likes is fine by me. But, everyone who does a lot of work with UNIX ought to have a rudimentary familiarity with vi, just in case.

- Warren

chroot said:
Of course vi is not necessarily good, just ubiquitous. If you have a better editor around, use it -- whatever anyone likes is fine by me. But, everyone who does a lot of work with UNIX ought to have a rudimentary familiarity with vi, just in case.

But this isn't what graphics7 said. I saw "Actually I despise emacs more than I do vim, however I consider them both terrible" followed in the next post by an assertion that the primary reason that this is because vi is more universally available.

That's where the personal preference comes in. The fact that you like being able to use the same editor on almost any system doesn't generalize to everyone else. A lot of people don't have to use systems that only have vi, and even people who do have to use such systems don't always want to restrict themselves to lowest-common-denominator tools.

dduardo said:

Edit: doh, my proxy acting up. FTP links failed; got a copy from a friend. :smile:

Hrm, the download links don't work. I can't find anything on it on sf.net either, so do you know any mirrors?

Last edited:
master_coda said:
But this isn't what graphics7 said. I saw "Actually I despise emacs more than I do vim, however I consider them both terrible" followed in the next post by an assertion that the primary reason that this is because vi is more universally available.

That's where the personal preference comes in. The fact that you like being able to use the same editor on almost any system doesn't generalize to everyone else. A lot of people don't have to use systems that only have vi, and even people who do have to use such systems don't always want to restrict themselves to lowest-common-denominator tools.

Well my preference for vi is somewhat personal, yes, but it's also practical. Sometimes you might not have the option of finding/building/install Emacs on a system you're on. Emacs has a load of dependencies, whereas, vi is basically dependent on an ncurses lib and that's about it.

For people that are on one system, as you suggest, use whatever editor you like. You're only most efficient with what you like to use. I just meant that it's highly advantageous to become proficient with an editor that is found throughout every UNIX/free-UNIX platform, and being stuck on Emacs is sort of like being `locked-down' to a single editor.

I do quite a bit of contract work, so I never know what I'll see on UNIX systems. I do know that 'vi' will be on them, though. Usually, I don't stay on a server/workstation long enough to have the time to install/build/whatever Emacs, nor the interest. In fact, I'd be quite humiliated if I walked up to a system and found that the editor I'm dependent upon, Emacs, isn't there. What do I do? I have to waste time installing it, when I could be getting paid for the work I supposed to be doing.

Last edited:
abhishek, i got my copy through gentoo's portage. You'll have to wait until sourceforge it back up i guess.

dduardo said:
abhishek, i got my copy through gentoo's portage. You'll have to wait until sourceforge it back up i guess.

Yes, I got a copy. :smile:

I'll be switching to gentoo in a couple of days, good to know it's on portage. :smile:

:P I like my desktop looking pretty. I'm happy with good old fluxbox and a ton of tranceparency :).

FAQ: Try Ratpoison, It's Good for You

1. What is Ratpoison and why should I try it?

Ratpoison is a type of poison used to kill rats and other rodents. It may be effective for pest control, but it is not meant for human consumption. Ingesting Ratpoison can be extremely harmful and potentially fatal.

2. Is there any research to support the claim that Ratpoison is good for you?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that Ratpoison is good for human health. In fact, it is known to be toxic and can cause serious health issues if ingested.

3. How does Ratpoison affect the body?

Ratpoison contains chemicals that can interfere with the body's normal functioning. It can cause damage to the nervous system, organs, and other bodily functions. In some cases, it can even lead to death.

4. Are there any potential benefits to using Ratpoison?

No, there are no potential benefits to using Ratpoison for human consumption. It is only meant for use as a rodenticide and should never be ingested by humans.

5. What should I do if I accidentally ingest Ratpoison?

If you accidentally ingest Ratpoison, seek immediate medical attention. Call your local poison control center or go to the nearest emergency room. Do not induce vomiting unless instructed to do so by a medical professional.

Back