Trying to derive the time dilation formula

In summary, there was a conversation about relativistic physics and the time dilation formula. It was mentioned that the formula can be derived using the Lorentz transforms and that there are other ways to arrive at the equation. One suggested method was using the "light clock" approach. It was also mentioned that no calculus is needed to understand the formula. There was a discussion about the possibility of traveling near the speed of light. Finally, a resource was shared for those new to relativity.
Mark
Hey everyone, I am doing relativisitc physics right now, and in my notes the following formula was derived.

[tex]t' = t\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}} [/tex]

they use two main pictures to describe this, http://aci.mta.ca/Courses/Physics/4701/EText/TimeDilation.html they are.

I am just wondering if there is another way to arrive at this equation, and if there is not, what is the...least complicated way of getting this equation, am I correct to assume it is fairly standard?

-thanks
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's probably the simplest way to get the "time dilation" formula. (But other (equivalent) ways exist.) Do you have a question about the derivation?

You are better off writing the equation this way:
[tex]\Delta t = \Delta t' \frac{1}{\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}} [/tex]
The formula tells you that an observer will measure a moving clock to be running slow compared to his own clocks. If the moving clock measures a time of Δt', the observer will measure a time of Δt.

Yes, my bad on the formula. Well essentially I'm looking for a secondary way to derive this formula (that doesn't involve any calculus past grade 12 calculus) Is it possible to do another simple derivation of this formula?

[tex]\Delta t = \frac{\Delta t\'\;}{\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}} [/tex]

Last edited:
Mark,

Actually your formula for time dilation is a consequence of a set of equations called the Lorentz transforms, which show you how to calculate the time and location of an "event" as measured by one observer, given the time and location of the event as measured by a second observer whose moving relative to the first one. It turns out they don't get the same answer!

And good news, you don't even need to calculus to understand it! Algebra is enough. You will need an open mind (it's pretty hard to believe at first!) and a good introductory book on Special Relativity. People here can recommend one (I like the one by A.P. French, but that's because it's the one I used to learn it).

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Mark said:
Yes, my bad on the formula. Well essentially I'm looking for a secondary way to derive this formula (that doesn't involve any calculus past grade 12 calculus) Is it possible to do another simple derivation of this formula?
Mark,
You should be well on your way by with the help given by jdavel and robphy. When I went to the link you had given, I saw the usual "light clock" diagram that robphy refers to. So I just assumed that the site gave the usual derviation of that: which involves nothing more that a little algebra (and an open mind). No calculus at all.

Let us know how you make out. As you can see, folks are eager to help here. :smile:

Does anyone here think it might someday be possible for someone to travel at a velocity near the speed of light?

not probable.

Hey Mark,

I had this similar question in my Physics III class. My copy of the time dilation equation proof is shown below as an attached zip file. The important concepts to realize are that two frames of reference are used-one being non-moving and the other moving at some velocity. In both of these frames, the speed of light (c) is constant and the distance (L) between the light source and mirror is set to some arbitrary value. By using Pythagorean's theorem, we can solve for L. Then applying some fancy Algebraic techniques, we interchange in terms of L and c because they are equal in both frames. Hope this helps.

Jay

Attachments

• time dilation proof.zip
    243.4 KB · Views: 274
http://www.theory.caltech.edu/people/patricia/sreltop.html

-This might turn out helpful for relativity newbies..
Hope this helps too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Trying to derive the time dilation formula

What is the time dilation formula?

The time dilation formula is a mathematical equation that calculates the difference in time between two events as observed by two different observers. It takes into account the relative velocity between the two observers and the speed of light.

Why is the time dilation formula important?

The time dilation formula is important because it helps us understand the concept of time dilation, which is a fundamental principle of Einstein's theory of relativity. It has also been confirmed through numerous experiments and is essential in many fields of science, such as astrophysics and particle physics.

How is the time dilation formula derived?

The time dilation formula is derived using the principles of special relativity, specifically the Lorentz transformation equations. It involves manipulating equations for time and distance in different reference frames and taking into account the constant speed of light.

What are the assumptions made in deriving the time dilation formula?

The time dilation formula assumes that the two observers are moving at a constant velocity relative to each other and that there are no external forces acting upon them. It also assumes that the speed of light is constant and that the laws of physics are the same for all observers.

How is the time dilation formula used in practical applications?

The time dilation formula is used in various practical applications, such as GPS technology, where precise time measurements are necessary for accurate navigation. It is also used in particle accelerators to calculate the effects of time dilation on particles moving at high speeds. Additionally, it is used in space missions to accurately predict the effects of time dilation on spacecraft traveling at high speeds.