Trying to explain fuzzy logic to a friend.

In summary, the conversation discusses fuzzy logic and its supposed connection to the golden ratio, with one person trying to reason with their friend who believes in this idea. They provide a Wikipedia article and another paper as references, but the friend remains convinced. The conversation ends with the other person expressing their skepticism about the paper.
mwilson
Hi,

I'm trying to come up with a way to explain fuzzy logic to a friend of mine. After reading this paper:
http://www.polytech.univ-savoie.fr/fileadmin/polytech_autres_sites/sites/listic/busefal/Papers/67.zip/67_02.pdf

He is adamant that Fuzzy Logic determines the chance that a bit in a computer system is 0 or 1. Furthermore, this percentage is the golden ratio. To me this make no sense at all. I've tried to reason him out of this insane notion, but to no avail. Can anyone offer any good points as to why this idea just isn't viable?

Mark

Technology news on Phys.org
That last link is exactly the paper I posted in my original post.

mwilson said:
That last link is exactly the paper I posted in my original post.
Sorry, I didn't read your reference but responded to the question you had.

Perhaps your friend is thinking of fuzzy logic being ingrained in the physics of binary logic gates where an incoming signal changes from 0 to 1 and the gate optimally switches sometime in between the two states.

http://www.misprofesores.com/uploads/artic8.pdf

and further believes that the golden ratio applies to the switching action.

Last edited by a moderator:
He is adamant that Fuzzy Logic determines the chance that a bit in a computer system is 0 or 1. Furthermore, this percentage is the golden ratio.

I'm pretty sure your friend is joking.

TheDemx27 said:
I'm pretty sure your friend is joking.

Unfortunately, I can assure you he is 100% serious...

I just ate that paper up by the way. At least up until the part where it formalizes the fuzzy logic. That was a bit iffy in my opinion.

I am not convinced that paper is worth the electricity that went into lighting my computer screen for the few minutes it took me to read it.

Likes TheDemx27

What is fuzzy logic?

Fuzzy logic is a mathematical approach that deals with imprecise or vague information. It allows for the representation of degrees of truth and uncertainty, rather than only binary values of true or false.

How is fuzzy logic different from traditional logic?

Traditional logic relies on the principle of bivalence, where a statement can only be true or false. Fuzzy logic, on the other hand, allows for values between true and false, such as partially true or mostly false.

What are the applications of fuzzy logic?

Fuzzy logic has a wide range of applications, including control systems, decision making, artificial intelligence, and pattern recognition. It is particularly useful in situations where there is uncertainty or ambiguity in the data.

Can you give an example of fuzzy logic in action?

Sure, a common example is the use of fuzzy logic in automatic temperature control systems. Instead of simply turning the heat on or off, the system uses fuzzy rules to adjust the temperature gradually based on the current temperature and the desired temperature.

Is fuzzy logic widely accepted in the scientific community?

Yes, fuzzy logic has been gaining more acceptance and recognition in the scientific community since its development in the 1960s. It has been successfully applied in various fields, and continues to be an active area of research and development.