1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to find the interval of convergence of this series: run into a problem

1. Mar 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The series:

[itex]\sum^{n=\infty}_{n=0}[/itex] [itex]\frac{(-1)^{n+2}(x^{3}+8)^{n+1}}{n+1}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

using the ratio test, I get the following:

|x[itex]^{3}+8|[/itex]<1, but I know that the radius of convergence must be in the form:
    |x-a|<b, where the degree of x is 1. I can't find a way to get the degree of x to 1! Can someone help me? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That form is for a power series in ##x##. You have a power series in ##x^3+8##. Just figure out what ##x## give ##|x^3+8|<1##, whether or not you get an interval.

4. Mar 8, 2012 #3
    When I solve for x I get that the interval of convergence is (-3,(-7)[itex]^{1/3}[/itex]). So in order to solve |x[itex]^{3}[/itex]+8|<1, x must fall in that interval. But what I don't get is how to get the radius of convergence from this..

5. Mar 8, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##(-9)^{-\frac 1 3}## isn't -3. If ##a## is the center of your interval you should be able to express it in the form ##|x-a|<b##. But I'm not sure whether or not I would call ##b## a radius of convergence in this type of problem. You might not even get an interval. For example a similar problem with squares instead of cubes might come out something like ##4 < x^2 < 9## giving ##-3<x<-2## and ##2 < x < 3##. Then you don't have an "interval of convergence".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook