Trying to get back into the swing of circuits

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with creating a circuit to power two motors and LED lights using DC batteries and a solar panel. They have provided a sketch and are wondering if their logic is correct. Another person suggests using just one battery for the lights, but the original person realizes that this may not be a good idea due to the power imbalance between the motors and lights. They are considering using a resistor, but have since updated their parameters and no longer need to include the lights in the circuit. However, they still want to understand the implications of using just one battery for the lights.
charanth182
Hello,

I realize this may appear as homework but I assure you that it is not for school. However i am new to the site so please let me know if i interpreted the rules wrong.

I'm a mechanical EIT whose electrical engineering education ended in about second year when general studies were concluded. Its been years since I've used the information within and school never really focused on creating the circuits just solving them.

For work I'm trying to come up with a (relatively) simple circuit to power two motors and a set of LED lights using DC batteries and a solar panel. My issue is that the lights require 12V while the motors require 24V each. Attached is a sketch of what i believe is a viable solution.

The lights use 540mA. If i remember my formulas right that means that to "get rid" of 12V i would need a 22.2Ω resistor. (12/0.54 = 22.2).

Basically all I'm wondering is if my logic is sound or if I'm totally off base.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 084325.jpg
    084325.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 375
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, that looks OK.

Would it be possible to get 12 volts from just the lower battery?

Seems a pity to waste 6 watts on a resistor, assuming the LEDs already have a current limiting circuit in them.

Thank you for your response!

Turns out my parameters have changed and i no longer need to include the lights, which simplifies this whole thing.

However for my own knowledge I would like to understand.

i thought that you did not want to drain two batteries in a system like this at two different rates, wouldn't putting the lights on one single battery do this? I realize that lights are often insignificant in power draw, and maybe that is where the suggestion comes from, but in this particular case the motors run for only 10 minutes (about 3 amps each) but the lights may be on for up to 4 hours (0.5amps). This means that on the required power reserve for the lights(2Ah) is actually double the motor (1Ah).

If this was still OK I'd be all for saving the energy lost to the resistor.

If the light use was trivial compared with the motor use, then I would go for use of just one battery, but in your case, this would not be a good idea.

Some small imbalance would be acceptable, but not that much.

Hello there,

It's great that you are trying to get back into circuits and expand your knowledge in electrical engineering. I understand that it can be challenging to jump back into a subject after a long break, but don't worry, with some practice and refreshing, you will get back into the swing of things.

Your circuit diagram seems to be a good start for your project. However, there are a few things to consider. First, when connecting multiple components in a circuit, you need to make sure that the voltage and current requirements of each component are met. In your case, the LED lights require 12V and the motors require 24V each. This means that you will need to have separate power sources for the lights and motors, or use a voltage regulator to adjust the voltage for the lights.

Secondly, when using resistors in a circuit, it is important to take into account the power dissipation of the resistor. In your case, if you use a 22.2Ω resistor to "get rid" of 12V for the lights, it will need to dissipate 12V x 0.54A = 6.48W of power. This may be too much for a standard resistor to handle, so you may need to use a higher wattage resistor or consider using a different method to adjust the voltage for the lights.

Overall, your logic seems sound, but it is always a good idea to double check your calculations and consider all factors when designing a circuit. I suggest doing some research or consulting with an experienced electrical engineer for guidance on your project. Good luck!

Related to Trying to get back into the swing of circuits

1. How can I improve my understanding of circuit design?

One way to improve your understanding of circuit design is to review basic concepts such as Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Laws. You can also practice solving sample circuit problems and seek out online resources or tutorials.

2. What tools do I need to get back into circuits?

To get back into circuits, you will need basic tools such as a multimeter, wire cutters, and a soldering iron. You may also want to invest in a breadboard and some electronic components to practice building circuits.

3. How can I stay updated on new developments in circuit design?

Staying updated on new developments in circuit design can be achieved by following industry publications, attending conferences or workshops, and joining online communities or forums where professionals share their insights and knowledge.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in circuit design?

Some common mistakes to avoid in circuit design include not properly calculating component values, not considering voltage and current limitations, and not testing the circuit before implementing it in a larger project. It is also important to double-check your connections and use proper safety precautions.

5. How can I apply my circuit design knowledge to real-world projects?

You can apply your circuit design knowledge to real-world projects by starting with simple projects and gradually increasing the complexity. You can also work on projects with a team or seek out internships or volunteer opportunities to gain hands-on experience. Additionally, staying updated on current industry trends and technologies can help you apply your knowledge to relevant and practical projects.