Trying to make an RTD that also duals as a heater

• Thread starter Tdunlap
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heater
In summary, the conversation discusses creating an RTD sensor and using it with a MCU to maintain a constant temperature. The circuit for the RTD is attached, along with a housing made of copper. The concern is that when increasing the amperage, the components may blow out. The conversation also mentions a 1MV output opamp that can be purchased with a +/- 5 volt supply. The conversation ends with sarcasm and a thank you.
Tdunlap
Hello,
What i need to do is; create an RTD sensor, hook it into a MCU and use the mcu and the self heating aspect of the RTD to maintain a constant temperature.

I attached 3 files: the first is the circuit running under normal load of .001A, the second is of the housing for the rtd itself (i made it, so be gentle), the third is the circuit again at 10A, used when its supposed to be heating. This is just the first part of the circuit, without the means of inputing it into a mcu.

A side note, the power supply is held at constant current.

The center is meant to hold a sample for an experiment. The channel that runs around the outside of the center opening is there to house the bare coiled wire that will run through the block. The metal is copper since i couldn't afford platinum.

My biggest worry is; when i try to up the amps, i will blow out the components, since most are rated at 1/2 watt.

Any help on how to reduce the changing resistance down to a point where it can be taken by the MCU would be appreciated. (the circuit is setup so that the resistance of the the rtd is outputted as voltage of the same magnitude.)

Also i didn't not design this circuit, i got it from an example from microchip.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Circuit.jpg
    Circuit.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 379
  • housing.jpg
    housing.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 387
  • Circuit_10A.jpg
    Circuit_10A.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 395
Engineering news on Phys.org
Cool. Where can I buy one of those opamps that produces a 1MV output while using only a +/- 5 volt supply.

uart said:
Cool. Where can I buy one of those opamps that produces a 1MV output while using only a +/- 5 volt supply.

Im getting sarcasm from this... Sooooo helpful.

Thanks.

1. How does an RTD function as a heater?

An RTD (Resistance Temperature Detector) is a type of temperature sensor that works by measuring the change in electrical resistance of a material as its temperature changes. This resistance change can then be used to calculate the temperature. By passing an electrical current through the RTD, the material heats up, making it act as a heater.

2. What materials are commonly used for making an RTD that also duals as a heater?

Some common materials used for making RTDs include nickel, platinum, and copper. These metals have a high temperature coefficient of resistance, meaning their resistance changes significantly with temperature, making them ideal for use as temperature sensors and heaters.

3. How do you ensure the accuracy of the temperature readings when using an RTD as a heater?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to use high-quality materials for the RTD and to calibrate it regularly. The RTD should also be placed in close proximity to the object being heated to accurately measure its temperature.

4. Can an RTD that duals as a heater be used for both heating and temperature sensing simultaneously?

Yes, an RTD can function as both a heater and a temperature sensor at the same time. By adjusting the electrical current passing through the RTD, the temperature of the material can be controlled, and the changes in resistance can be measured to determine the temperature.

5. What are the advantages of using an RTD that also duals as a heater?

An RTD that doubles as a heater offers several advantages, including cost-effectiveness, compact size, and accurate temperature control. It also eliminates the need for separate heating and temperature sensing devices, making it a convenient and efficient option for many applications.