Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to reconstruct an accident

1. Mar 7, 2010 #1
    Hello all,

Here's the data I have -

Initial Elevation : 0 feet
    Final elevation: -25 feet
    Distance from roadway: 55 feet

Assuming the tree that was hit didn't lessen the velocity, and the vehicle didn't bounce, what would the velocity have been at the time the vehicle left the roadway at initial elevation?

How would I calculate the velocity? This is not a homework problem. I've got the totaled car to prove it. (Nobody was hurt) The rear-engine layout caused the vehicle to spin and the car went off rear-first.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

First, you need a professional accident reconstructor, not some guys you met on the internet.

Second, we knew this wasn't a homework problem. You provided no information on what happened - just three numbers.

4. Mar 7, 2010 #3
    This is a mental exercise for back-of-the-napkin calculations, nothing more. It is certainly not going to be used for anything other than a brief sanity check.

What other information do you need? I have gravity, which is constant, the hight, and the distance. Here are some more numbers.

The weight of the vehicle is 3,100# with driver. I didn't think about that one. What other variables do you need to get a rough estimate (again, just for kicks) of the velocity.

5. Mar 7, 2010 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Weight of vehicle is not needed. Initial height, final height and distance should be enough to calc velocity. But there are many other factors, such as angle of exit from roadway. However, taking it at face-value, I get:

a = 9.8 m/s^2
    d(y) = 7.625m
    t=?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_for_a_falling_body#Overview"
    t = sqrt(2 x 7.625 / 9.8)
    t = 1.247s
    This is duration of fall.

To travel 55ft (total displacement, not perpendicluar to roadway) in 1.247s would indicate an initial velocity of 13.45m/s or 48.3kph.

Again, this is an ideal scenario. It is of little use unless the scenario was textbook.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  6. Mar 8, 2010 #5
    I think you forgot to take the square root

sqrt(2 x 7.625 / 9.8) = 1.247

7. Mar 8, 2010 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

What you really need is a description of what happened. Apparently a tree is involved?

8. Mar 8, 2010 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Thanks. Post fixed.

9. Mar 8, 2010 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I'm assuming the tree has marks on it that are 25 vertical feet below the road surface and that the tree is 55 horizontal feet from the spot where the car left the ground.

My assumption is implicit in saying this is a textbook calculation, given nothing but the numbers. If the poster wants to provide more detail, he's welcome to do so.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook