Trying to understand Special Relativity

In summary: Similarly, if C says "A and B got hit by n photons between 12:00 and 12:01 on my clock", then both A and B would say exactly the same. This is because in the observer frame, the two events where A and B's clocks change to 12:00 and to 12:01 are simultaneous. In summary, there is no contradiction in the statements made by A, B, and C. The difference in their observations can be explained by the relativity of simultaneity and time dilation. The events that occur at the same time in one frame may not occur at the same time in another frame due to the effects of special relativity.
simpleton
Hi,

I was reading on special relativity and was trying to understand it. However, I am still not very sure about the concepts. For example, I have this problem:

I have 2 spaceships, A and B, traveling towards each other. Both have rest length x and speed v, where v is near the speed of light. Both are getting bombarded by photons that travel perpendicular to the direction of the spaceships.

The person in A will think "Hmm, due to length contraction, the rate at which he gets hit by photons is smaller than mine"

Person B will think the same way.

Person C in the observer frame will think that both ships will get hit at the same rate.

How do you resolve this contradiction?

Physics news on Phys.org
simpleton said:
Hi,

I was reading on special relativity and was trying to understand it. However, I am still not very sure about the concepts. For example, I have this problem:

I have 2 spaceships, A and B, traveling towards each other. Both have rest length x and speed v, where v is near the speed of light. Both are getting bombarded by photons that travel perpendicular to the direction of the spaceships.

The person in A will think "Hmm, due to length contraction, the rate at which he gets hit by photons is smaller than mine"

Person B will think the same way.

Person C in the observer frame will think that both ships will get hit at the same rate.

How do you resolve this contradiction?

There is no contradiction, all three statements are correct.

What I mean is, say person A and person B note down the number of photons that hit them. When they compare their readings, will they differ? And if they do, who got hit more times?

You need to specify the times at which they should start counting and stop counting.

If A says "I got hit by n photons between 12:00 and 12:01 on my clock", then B would say exactly the same. What you seem to be overlooking is that the events where A's clock change to 12:00 and to 12:01 are not one minute apart in B's frame.

Last edited:

1. What is Special Relativity?

Special Relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion, regardless of their relative velocity.

2. How does Special Relativity differ from Newtonian mechanics?

Special Relativity differs from Newtonian mechanics in several ways. Firstly, it takes into account the constant speed of light in a vacuum, which is the same for all observers. It also considers time and space as relative, rather than absolute, concepts. This means that measurements of time and distance can vary depending on the observer's frame of reference.

3. What is the significance of the equation E=mc² in Special Relativity?

The equation E=mc² is a key concept in Special Relativity and is known as the mass-energy equivalence equation. It shows that mass and energy are two forms of the same thing and are interchangeable. This equation is also the foundation for the development of nuclear energy and nuclear weapons.

4. How does Special Relativity explain the phenomenon of time dilation?

Special Relativity explains time dilation as a consequence of the constant speed of light. As an object's speed approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down for that object from the perspective of a stationary observer. This means that time can pass at different rates for different observers depending on their relative velocities.

5. Are there any practical applications of Special Relativity?

Yes, there are many practical applications of Special Relativity. For example, it is used in the development of GPS technology, which relies on precise time measurements that take into account the effects of time dilation. It is also used in particle accelerators, where particles are accelerated to near the speed of light, and in the development of nuclear energy and nuclear weapons.