1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trying to verify function as a powerseries

1. May 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [tex]\frac{1}{1-z+z^2} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n \cdot z^n[/tex]

where [tex]a_{1} = a_0 = 1 \Leftrightarrow a_{1}-a_{0} = 0[/tex] and [tex]a_2=0[/tex] and [tex]a_{n+3} + a_n = 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

By the theorem of Identity

[tex]1 = 1 - z + z^2 \sum a_n \cdot z^n = a_0 + (a_{1}-a_{0})z + a_{2} \cdot z^2 + \sum_{n=3}^{\infty} a_n \cdot z^{n} - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n} \cdot z^{n+1} + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n z^{n+2}[/tex]

If I write out the first sum I get [tex]\sum_{n=3}^{\infty} a_n \cdot z^{n} = a_3 z^3 + a_{4}z^4 + \cdots [/tex]

I write out a couple terms of the second sum [tex]- \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n} \cdot z^{n+1} = - a_1 \cdot z^{2} - a_2 \cdot z^{3} - \cdots [/tex]

If I make the commen index n = 0

it looks like the index increase at n+3 and at a power of n+2 such that

[tex]a_0 + (a_{1}-a_{0})z + a_{2} \cdot z^2 +\sum_{n=3}^{\infty} + a_n \cdot z^{n} - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n} \cdot z^{n+1} + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n z^{n+2} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (a_{n+3} +a_n)z^{n+2}[/tex]

How is this?

Sincerely
    Susanne

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Susanne! :smile:

Sorry, but this is really messy. :redface:

Write out the total coefficient of zn+2 for n≥0. to get a general equation for an an-1 and an-2, and then deal with z0 and z1 separately. :wink:

4. May 5, 2010 #3
    Just be clear tiny-tim,

Is my formulation correct until here

Let [tex]\frac{1}{1-z+z^2} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n \cdot z^n[/tex]

where [tex]a_{1} = a_0 = 1 \Leftrightarrow a_{1}-a_{0} = 0[/tex] and [tex]a_2=0[/tex] and [tex]a_{n+3} + a_n = 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]1 = 1 - z + z^2 \sum a_n \cdot z^n = a_0 + (a_{1}-a_{0})z + a_{2} \cdot z^2 + \sum_{n=3}^{\infty} a_n \cdot z^{n} - \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n} \cdot z^{n+1} + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n z^{n+2}[/tex]

My attempt to expand the three sums (using the original n = 0)
    1) [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n \cdot z^{n} =a_{0} + a_{1}z + a_{2}z^2+ a_{3}z^3 + a_4 z^4 + a_5 z^5 + \cdots + [/tex]

2) [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_{n} \cdot z^{n+1} = a_0 z + a_1 z^{2} + a_2 z^3 + \cdots [/tex]

3) [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_n z^{n+2} = a_{0}z^2 + a_{1}z^3 + a_2 z^4[/tex]

I can see that if I subtract the second sum from the first I get

[tex]\sum a_{n-1}z^{n+1}[/tex]

But whats my next step? to add

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n-1}z^{n+1}+ \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_{n}z^{n+2}[/tex]

Can that be right tiny-tim?? Cause I keep getting something else that [tex]a_{n+3}+a_n[/tex] inside the sum??

If I do I end up with [tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} a_{n}z^{n+1}[/tex] as the joined sum of the three. But can't be right?

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  5. May 5, 2010 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Susanne! :smile:
    This is a bad idea …

it might turn out ok, but it's so easy to make a mistake if you do it that way. :redface:

Instead, keep all the ∑s so far as you can, but rewrite them so that they all say zn, and they all start from n = 2 (this makes it really easy to add the ∑s :wink:)

For example, with ∑n=0 anzn+1,

rewrite it as ∑n=2 an-1zn + a0z.

Try again. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook