Exploring the Impact of Social and Economic Factors on Fertility Forecasts

• Thread starter momentum
  • Start date
In summary, this English text discusses the idea of corporate America placing a number of entrepreneurs in the limelight over the last two decades who have marched to a different drummer. This different drummer is often quirky and unique, which stands out from the rest. Nowadays, most people in a similar career or business wind up doing things in a similar way due to imitation. Thoreau's book Walden may have inspired this saying. If a man doesn't keep his word, he is a thief and a robber.
For example, I am in data networking, once considered high tech and valuable, now it is considered a commodity to be shopped around for the lowest price.

M-W Dictionary

c : a mass-produced unspecialized product

4 : a good or service whose wide availability typically leads to smaller profit margins and diminishes the importance of factors (as brand name) other than price
5 : one that is subject to ready exchange or exploitation within a market

In America a commodity means something which has little value.

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
For example, I am in data networking, once considered high tech and valuable, now it is considered a commodity to be shopped around for the lowest price.

M-W Dictionary

c : a mass-produced unspecialized product

4 : a good or service whose wide availability typically leads to smaller profit margins and diminishes the importance of factors (as brand name) other than price
5 : one that is subject to ready exchange or exploitation within a market

In America a commodity means something which has little value.

Yes. My thoughts too, but:

I guess it was the "of little value" that I balked at.

valuable?

Oscar Wilde:

"A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" :wink:

please see this text ...

Plant injury resulting from high light intensity is due not to the light per se but to an excess of
light energy over that utilized by photosynthesis

see the wording "light per se" . what is "se" ? does "se" = second ?
I doubt though . Can anyone explain this wording.

per se

hi momentum! :smile:

(hmm … since you have a Latin name, I thought you could speak Latin! :biggrin:)

"per se" is one of those Latin phrases which are used fairly regularly in English.

A literal translation is "through itself" (per = through, se = himself/itself).

In practice, it means "by itself" or "in itself" or "by its very nature".

In your example, it means that light is not naturally damaging, it is damaging only if there is too much.

(for other Latin phrases used in English, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_se_(phrase)" :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator:

tiny-tim said:
hi momentum! :smile:

(hmm … since you have a Latin name, I thought you could speak Latin! :biggrin:)

"per se" is one of those Latin phrases which are used fairly regularly in English.

A literal translation is "through itself" (per = through, se = himself/itself).

In practice, it means "by itself" or "in itself" or "by its very nature".

In your example, it means that light is not naturally damaging, it is damaging only if there is too much.

(for other Latin phrases used in English, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per_se_(phrase)" :wink:)

Aaah ...so simple , cute explanation . It was beautiful. very much helpful. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:
<scrapped>

Last edited:
please look at this English text...

At the signing book people can buy the book, have it signed by a stand-in, and even buy more financial advice.

what does 'stand-in' means ?

momentum said:

At the signing book people can buy the book, have it signed by a stand-in, and even buy more financial advice.

"Stand-in" usually means a person who shows up in place of another person. This person stands in the role of the original person. In this case it would seem that someone would be signing the book in place of the author though I have never heard of such a thing with regard to book signings. Perhaps I am missing something from the context.

TheStatutoryApe said:
"Stand-in" usually means a person who shows up in place of another person. This person stands in the role of the original person. In this case it would seem that someone would be signing the book in place of the author though I have never heard of such a thing with regard to book signings. Perhaps I am missing something from the context.

thanks ...that helped me a lot.

momentum said:

"Stand-in" means "substitute".

The sentence may be taken out of context, but from what I can tell it means you can buy a book that is signed by someone who is not the writer.

As far as buying financial advice...I'll give some for fee. Never pay extra for a book that is signed by the author, and never, ever pay extra for a book that is signed by a stand-in.

If you buy the book, momentum, I'll sign it for free :tongue2:.

lisab said:
As far as buying financial advice...I'll give some for fee.

I know this is a typo, but it is a typo with sweet irony, don't you agree? :biggrin:

DaveC426913 said:
I know this is a typo, but it is a typo with sweet irony, don't you agree? :biggrin:

...ahahhaah...Lol!

please see some text ...

Winners Adam Ovariano and his wife Teresa hired professionals to asymmetrically mount the
massive painting onto the mantle above their fireplace.

what is "asymmetrically mount" ? I am not clear with this text . Need help on this. Can you please explain this ?

momentum said:
please see some text ...

Winners Adam Ovariano and his wife Teresa hired professionals to asymmetrically mount the
massive painting onto the mantle above their fireplace.

what is "asymmetrically mount" ? I am not clear with this text . Need help on this. Can you please explain this ?

Its an interesting wording. I am unsure of what exactly it would mean. "Asymmetrical" roughly means "uneven" or the opposite of "symmetrical". "Mount" in this case seems to mean that they were hanging the painting, or fixing it to the wall. I am under the impression that something about the construction of the wall prevented them from using standard mounting brackets, which would normally be fixed to the wall on the studs in a symmetrical pattern to evenly distribute the weight of the painting.

It is also possible that the painting is meant to be displayed in an asymmetrical fashion such as a painting consisting of multiple canvases or panels that are to be placed at differing heights.
An example...
Chinese_dragon_canvas_prints_canvas_printing_multi_panel_home_decor.jpg

very nice. Thanks for your post. Thanks for your time.

momentum said:
very nice. Thanks for your post. Thanks for your time.
Momentum, you seem to be reading bad books, and poorly translated ones.

Last edited:
please see some text ...

CapitalYay feels that the decrease in the size of technological items is only a sign of the growing population.

Can you please explain the meaning of 'decrease in the size of technological items'

momentum said:
please see some text ...

CapitalYay feels that the decrease in the size of technological items is only a sign of the growing population.

Can you please explain the meaning of 'decrease in the size of technological items'

I believe it means the actual physical size of any particular electronic device. Such as smaller cellphones, mp3 players, laptops, ect which is a definite trend in some places. My mp3 player is about the size of a book of matches.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I believe it means the actual physical size of any particular electronic device. Such as smaller cellphones, mp3 players, laptops, ect which is a definite trend in some places. My mp3 player is about the size of a book of matches.

That's what I thought too, but I can't figure out why shrinking electronics is "only a sign of the growing population". The fact that I don't want my cell phone to be the size of a brick has nothing to do with population :confused:.

lisab said:
That's what I thought too, but I can't figure out why shrinking electronics is "only a sign of the growing population". The fact that I don't want my cell phone to be the size of a brick has nothing to do with population :confused:.

Yeah, I had trouble with the idea behind the statement too. Didn't really want to side track into a discussion on that though.

<scrapped>

Last edited:

To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical detriments of fertility.

what does this word means "social and economical detriments of fertility" ?

I understand individual words though but when it combined what does it mean ? what detriments ? I don't understand this...Could you please elaborate this part ?

momentum said:

To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical detriments of fertility.

I understand individual words though but when it combined what does it mean ? what detriments ? I don't understand this...Could you please elaborate this part ?
Its an interesting choice of words. I am under the impression they are referring to "the social and economic detriment" of having many children.

TheStatutoryApe said:
Its an interesting choice of words. I am under the impression they are referring to "the social and economic detriment" of having many children.

detriment = damage.

population forecast ---->demographer have to know ---->social and economic detriment damage.

I don't get the connection here.

what the demographer have to know social and economic detriment damage to forecast a population ? is it really an important parameter ? is it used in other countries ?

Could you please throw some light on this part ?

momentum said:
detriment = damage.
No.
Detriment = disadvantage

examples:
"Increased financial stress is one of the detriments of a larger family size."
"We are already in dire straits financially, we can have more children, but to our detriment."

I'm still not clear . how it is connected here.

momentum said:

Well it's not clear what they mean. If I had to guess, I think what they were trying to say is:

To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers would have to know a great deal more than now about the social and economical effects on fertility.

Further corrected, IMO:
lisab said:
To develop more accurate population forecasts, demographers would have to know a great deal more than now about the negative social and economical effects on fertility.