Turning on a flashlight at 98 of c

• Thread starter hellfire695
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turning
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relative velocity and how it applies to objects moving at different speeds. The participants also touch on the effects of relativity and how time is affected at high speeds.
hellfire695
Hi, this is my first post so if i made any noob mistakes have at me

I can best formulate my question in the form of this
If I'm driving a car at 100kph, and someone the kleenex box form the back seat at 30kph, then it moves at 30kph relative to me but in actuality is moving at something like 130kph

now if i was in a vehicle that travel at 98% of c, and I turned on a flashlight then would the only be traveling at 2% faster then me? is my understanding correct, and what kind of effects would I see/feel

Science news on Phys.org
Hi there
welcome to PF :)

hellfire695 said:
Hi, this is my first post so if i made any noob mistakes have at me

I can best formulate my question in the form of this
If I'm driving a car at 100kph, and someone the kleenex box form the back seat at 30kph, then it moves at 30kph relative to me but in actuality is moving at something like 130kph

its only moving at 130kph relative to someone at rest and not in the car
to everyone in the car it is moving forward at 30kph

hellfire695 said:
...now if i was in a vehicle that travel at 98% of c, and I turned on a flashlight then would the only be traveling at 2% faster then me? is my understanding correct, and what kind of effects would I see/feel

no, because in your timeframe you are at rest and the light from the flashlight is still traveling away from you at its normal velocity, c.
Its only when some one else, in their time frame, views you and your spaceship do they see you traveling at 98% c. From your point if view, you are stationary and everything else is moving past you at 98% c.
And even then, the beam of light from the flashlight is still moving at only c, NOT c + your velocity.
( that's for reasons tied up in relativity, that I'm not well versed on ;) )

hopefully that made sense :)

cheers
Dave

Last edited:
thanks that did make some sense but I want to clarify something.
I was under the impression even in I'm at rest in the car, for purposes of total energy I am moving at 100 kph. thus
Now as I understand that Kleenex box has to travel at 130 relative to a person at rest in order to appear to travel at 30kph compared to me?

You are correct. At these speeds you can simply add and subtract the velocities. However, if you apply relativity, you will find that the the cleenex box is actually moving just a bit off of but not exactly 130 kph. Probably too little to even measure.

As you get closer to the speed of light though, it is quite measurable and quite pronounced, such that if you're traveling at 98% c and throw a kleenex box forward at 98% c, an outside observer will measure the kleenex box as moving only perhaps 99.5% c (I don't know the exact number...too much of a layman). But never c or never more than c.

Now, obviously if the velocities don't simply add up, something else has to give. That something else is time. The clock actually ticks slower for you, traveling at 98% c than it does for the outside observer.

This also means that c is always c for everybody, whether they are on Earth or on a almost-at-the-speed-of-light spaceship. The differences will be in how fast their clocks tick. For an actual light beam, the clock stops.

Look up relativistic "velocity addition":

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/%E2%80%8Chbase/relativ/einvel.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What happens to the flashlight when turned on at 98°C?

The flashlight will not turn on at 98°C as it is well above the operating temperature of most flashlights. The internal components, such as the battery and LED, may become damaged or malfunction at this high temperature.

2. Can I use a flashlight in extreme temperatures?

Most flashlights are designed to operate within a specific temperature range, usually between -20°C to 50°C. Using a flashlight outside of this range may affect its performance and could potentially damage it.

3. Why does the flashlight not work when it's too hot?

The internal components of a flashlight are sensitive to extreme temperatures. When the temperature exceeds the operating range, the battery may not be able to provide enough power, and the LED may overheat and fail to emit light.

4. Is there a type of flashlight that can withstand high temperatures?

Yes, there are specialized flashlights designed for use in high-temperature environments, such as industrial or military applications. These flashlights have a higher operating temperature range and are built with more durable and heat-resistant materials.

5. Can I cool down a flashlight to use it at higher temperatures?

It is not recommended to cool down a flashlight to use it in high temperatures. The sudden change in temperature can cause condensation inside the flashlight, damaging its components. It is best to use a flashlight within its designated temperature range for optimal performance and longevity.