Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tutorial: Circuit Analysis with Maple

1. Apr 26, 2006 #1

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since Greg recently started allowing Maple worksheets as attachments and since this lonely little forum gets hardly any traffic, I'm going to start using it as an incubator for the development of tutorials for use at PF.

I've attached a Maple worksheet (done in Maple 9.5) that shows how to do calculations for first- and second order linear circuits. I'm just learning Maple myself, so if there is a less retarded way to do this then please do speak up.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2006 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK quiet down, I can barely hear myself think. :biggrin:

I've got a question that maybe one of you can answer. If not then I'll post in the Math section. How do you plot a function in Maple without actually typing the function as an argument in the plot command? Say I use the dsolve command to get an analytical solution for a differential equation. Can I use the plot command to graph it simply by referring to the function by name, rather than typing it out?

4. Apr 28, 2006 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is a magma (and other language) idea, but usually the program stores the previous output (or some number of the last few returned values) and doing something like plot $1 will make it plot the last returned value. A command like dsolve will return a value to somewhere, it's just accessing it. Sorry I can't be more help, but I'm just extrapolating from other languages (in python it would be _, I think).

5. Apr 28, 2006 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I did a quick search and " is the last value stored, "" the last but one (and I presume this holds for some small number of " symbols.

So if you do

dsolve(something);
    plot(");
    it should plot whatver dsolve returned.

6. May 4, 2006 #5

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Maple worksheet I attached to the OP was old. I thought it was a newer one. An updated version is attached, as is a worksheet for Laplace transform analysis and frequency response. Anyone have any thoughts?

I was going to start a new thread for each Maple Tutorial, but instead I'm going to lump them together by subject. So I changed the title of this thread to reflect that. Anyone can feel free to join in.

Thanks Matt. I independently found out that % works for recalling the last object.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 4, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?