TVM Problem solving the end amount.

In summary, the problem involves using a spreadsheet or TVM solver to determine the equal monthly payments from an annuity of $100,000 with a 6.5% annual interest rate and a 10-year life. By entering different payments, it was found that a monthly payment of $1,344.89 would result in a closing balance of less than $1 after 10 years. However, when using a TVM solver on a TI-83 Plus calculator, the result was incorrect. The error was found to be due to misunderstanding the question and using the wrong input for FV. The correct solution involved setting FV to 0 and solving for PMT, resulting in a monthly payment of $0.24 after
cjp88
[SOLVED] TVM Problem solving the end amount.

Homework Statement

2. A spreadsheet software or TVM solver on a calculator can be used to determine the equal monthly payments that can be paid from an annuity for a set length of time. You can enter different payments until you find the one that gives a closing balance of less than $1 after the set length of time. What monthly payment can be paid from an annuity of $100 000 earning 6.5% per annum, compounded monthly, with a life of 10 years?

Homework Equations

TVM Solver:

N = (Number of payment periods)
I% = (Annual Interest rate)
PV = (Present value)
PMT = (Payment, must be -number)
FV = (Future value)
P/Y = (Payment periods per year)
C/Y = (Compounding periods per year)

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this question in Excel and got under $1, however I'm trying to send this answer with work from Excel done and TVM so I understand both ways to do this question. I'll show my excel file in an attachment.

In the TVM solver I'm using on my TI-83 Plus I cannot seem to get the same results.

N = 120.00
I% = 6.50
PV = 100000.00
PMT = -1344.89
FV = (To be solved)
P/Y = 12.00
C/Y = 12.00

When solved, FV = 35265.34 (Which is wrong.)

In my excel file, the answer should be $0.24 after the 10 years (120 months).

Attachments

• MathHelpEXCELFILE.zip
    7.9 KB · Views: 256
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem has been solved. I mis-understood the question when doing the TVM Solver.

I was supposed to put 0 for FV, not what I got from my Excel answer, then use the solve for PMT.

Thank you for sharing your work and methods for solving this TVM problem. It seems that you have correctly used the TVM solver on your calculator, but the final answer you obtained may be incorrect due to rounding errors or incorrect inputs. To ensure accuracy, I would recommend double-checking your inputs and using more precise values for the interest rate and number of periods. Additionally, you can try using different TVM solvers or spreadsheet software to see if you get the same answer. It's also important to note that TVM calculations are based on assumptions and may not always reflect the exact end amount due to factors such as fees, taxes, and inflation. Overall, it's great that you are using different methods to solve this problem and gaining a better understanding of TVM. Keep up the good work!

Related to TVM Problem solving the end amount.

1. What is TVM problem solving and why is it important?

TVM (Time Value of Money) problem solving is a financial concept that involves calculating the value of money over time, taking into account factors such as interest rates and inflation. It is important because it allows individuals and businesses to make informed financial decisions and understand the impact of time on the value of money.

2. How do you calculate TVM?

TVM can be calculated using various formulas, depending on the specific problem at hand. Generally, it involves using the present value, future value, interest rate, and time period to determine the end amount. There are also online calculators and software programs available to help with TVM calculations.

3. How does TVM problem solving apply to personal finance?

TVM problem solving is relevant in personal finance as it helps individuals make decisions about saving, investing, and borrowing money. It can also be used to understand the impact of inflation on savings and investments over time.

4. What are some real-life applications of TVM problem solving?

TVM problem solving can be applied in various financial situations, such as calculating the future value of investments, determining the amount of a loan payment, and understanding the impact of inflation on purchasing power. It is also used in budgeting and financial planning.

5. What are some limitations of TVM problem solving?

One limitation of TVM problem solving is that it assumes a constant interest rate, which may not always be the case in real life. It also does not take into account external factors such as taxes and fees, which can affect the end amount. Additionally, TVM calculations are based on predictions and may not always accurately reflect actual financial outcomes.