Two 700 watt blow heaters vs one 1500 watt heater?

• Thread starter brothermaynard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heater Watt
In summary, the circuit breaker is tripping because of the power draw of the heater, and the room has two wall heaters and a microwave plugged into the same circuit. If you buy a bigger circuit breaker, you need to get an electrician to do the installation.
brothermaynard
I bought a small 1500 Watt portable blow heater for my room because it getting really cold, but whenever its turned on, it trips the circuit breaker.What exactly causes the circuit to break? I mean, what units should I concern myself with when buying a heater, --Watts or Voltage? Why does this heater trip circuit when other stuff (computers, lamps etc) doesn't? Also, what uses the most power, is it the fan turning or the heating element? What if I I bought two 700 Watt heaters --would that heat the room more with less power used? Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
brothermaynard said:
I bought a small 1500 Watt portable blow heater for my room because it getting really cold, but whenever its turned on, it trips the circuit breaker.What exactly causes the circuit to break? I mean, what units should I concern myself with when buying a heater, --Watts or Voltage? Why does this heater trip circuit when other stuff (computers, lamps etc) doesn't? Also, what uses the most power, is it the fan turning or the heating element? What if I I bought two 700 Watt heaters --would that heat the room more with less power used? Thanks for any help.

What is your AC Mains voltage? 120Vrms, 240Vrms, or something else? What is the breaker that is tripping rated at? 20A?

And what else is plugged into that same circuit that is fed by the breaker that is tripping?

Asynchronous motor start current could be problem. Heating element also draw more current when they are cold. Buy rather motor starter fuse for your instalation.

berkeman said:
And what else is plugged into that same circuit that is fed by the breaker that is tripping?
The room has forced air heaters mounted in the walls (two of them).. If I turn on my extra portable heater when the other heaters are on, it instantly trips the circuit. If room heaters are off, then portable heater won't rip the circuit. Also, I have a microwave in my room: Microwave + portable heater = tripped circuit. But... Microwave + room heaters = no problem. How do I find out the mains voltage and amps? is that posted on the breaker box usually?
Thanks for the reply.

brothermaynard said:
The room has forced air heaters mounted in the walls (two of them).. If I turn on my extra portable heater when the other heaters are on, it instantly trips the circuit. If room heaters are off, then portable heater won't rip the circuit. Also, I have a microwave in my room: Microwave + portable heater = tripped circuit. But... Microwave + room heaters = no problem. How do I find out the mains voltage and amps? is that posted on the breaker box usually?
Thanks for the reply.

Look at the label on the back (or bottom) of the microwave oven. That will tell you what the AC Mains voltage is.

The breaker box may have something that shows what the rating of the circuit breaker is. But you can't really substitute a bigger one without upgrading the electrical service (an electrician is needed for that, and you need building permits and inspections to do it).

your wall heaters sound like they're on the same circuit breaker as the outlet you're plugging the heater into. Most circuit breakers in home4s are either 15 or 20 amps. Usually 15 amps if you have 14 gauge (thickness) wire, or 20A is you have 12G wier. a 15A circuit breaker at 120 volts can supply about 1800 watts of power. Since your heater is 1500 by itself, that doesn't leave very much for anything else, definitely not enough for two more heaters. In my opinion, your simplest fix is to buy a 12 gauge extension cord (MUST BE 12 GAUGE, or thicker, like 10 gauge, but you probably won't find a 10g extension cord). Plug the extension cord into an outlet in another room, a room without wall heaters. Depending what else is on that other circuit though, you still may trip a breaker. The main thing to keep in mind is converting the watt rating of heaters, to the amp rating of circuit breakers. It's P=IV, Power = current X voltage. So if you have a 120V system (e.g. you live in the US), and your circuit breaker is 15A, then the most you can plug into that circuit is about 1800 watts, TOTAL... That is, counting everything plugged in that's on that breaker, and sometimes they may even run lighting on the same breakers as outlets. If it's a 20A breaker, then you can run 2400 watts total. If you do by an extension cord to plug it in at a different part of the house, like i said, make sure it's at least 12 gauge (smaller numbers are LARGER, so don't buy a 14g extension cord)! It's still not recommended, but make sure not to use anything smaller than 12g. It may be expensive (for an extension cord), like $50 for 50' cord, $30 for a 20' cord, etc...

brothermaynard said:
I bought a small 1500 Watt portable blow heater for my room because it getting really cold,
Question. Is it a rented room; as in, student housing?

berkeman said:
(an electrician is needed for that, and you need building permits and inspections to do it)
Yep. But may not be possible depending on answer of the above.

mp3car said:
In my opinion, your simplest fix is to buy a 12 gauge extension cord (MUST BE 12 GAUGE, or thicker, like 10 gauge, but you probably won't find a 10g extension cord). Plug the extension cord into an outlet in another room, a room without wall heaters.
Waiting for reply to room question. If he is living in only one rented student room, he may be out of luck.

brothermaynard said:
What if I I bought two 700 Watt heaters --would that heat the room more with less power used? Thanks for any help.
Heaters are 100% efficient, so two 700W heaters create less heat than a 1500W heater.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi, yes student housing and its really old building too , ...I estimate year 1900 or earlier. So I can't unfortunately use another room (i only have one room). FYI on the breaker box, it looks like each room has exactly one circuit breaker. So its easy to flip the switch again if it trips, --just a walk down the corridor --but I am looking for some ingenious way to get this place toasty warm...definitely can't build fire lol
thanks for the answers... any more ideas?

mp3car --even if I go get 12 gauge extension I don't see why it still wouldn't either trip the circuit or fail to work at all (the portable heater failing to work I mean) because its still running 1500 W. (?) that's why I was thinking of 2 700W heaters positioned opposite ends of room.

brothermaynard said:
hi, yes student housing and its really old building too , ...I estimate year 1900 or earlier. So I can't unfortunately use another room (i only have one room). FYI on the breaker box, it looks like each room has exactly one circuit breaker. So its easy to flip the switch again if it trips, --just a walk down the corridor --but I am looking for some ingenious way to get this place toasty warm...definitely can't build fire lol
thanks for the answers... any more ideas?

Sounds like adding some clothing layers would be a good (and cheaper) approach... :-)

brothermaynard said:
mp3car --even if I go get 12 gauge extension I don't see why it still wouldn't either trip the circuit or fail to work at all (the portable heater failing to work I mean) because its still running 1500 W. (?) that's why I was thinking of 2 700W heaters positioned opposite ends of room.

He was thinking that you could use the extension cord to tap into an outlet that was fed by a different breaker. Sounds like that is not an option.

Just to summarize:
I'm assuming 120V mains. You multiply the mains voltage by the breaker current to determing the maximum watts you can draw.

The circuit break trips when you draw too much current. Let's say 15 amps. 15 amps at 120V means you can run 1800 watts. It doesn't matter how you split it up, 1800 watts (15 amps, actually) is the limit. If it is a 20A breaker, the answer is 2400 watts.

That is a hard limit. No exceptions. No tricks to get by it, other than an extension cord to another breaker.

Maybe you can add 1 700 watt heater and not trip the breaker (until you run the microwave).

If you were to have a single heater running for longer (i.e. switched on, well before you get into the room) you may get the room temperature high enough for comfort. It's not the most efficient way through but, if you are not metered, it may be worth while thinking about.

I would return that heater and use a heater that has several different settings. They sell a radiator heater at Lowes or home depot for like $35. It also has a thermostat which is ideal for sleeping or leaving the room.

Point is, it has three different settings, minimum (500 watt) , medium (1,000 watt) and maximum (1,500 watt) Find the setting that doesn't trip the breaker, either medium or minum in this case. By the way, these wattage differences work independently of the thermostat which is convenient for the user.

Problem solved. 500 watts may be more than enough to keep you cozy.

Otherwise you would need an electrician to re-wire which obviously isn't going to happen in this case.

psparky said:
I would return that heater and use a heater that has several different settings. They sell a radiator heater at Lowes or home depot for like $35. It also has a thermostat which is ideal for sleeping or leaving the room.

Point is, it has three different settings, minimum (500 watt) , medium (1,000 watt) and maximum (1,500 watt) Find the setting that doesn't trip the breaker, either medium or minum in this case.
I agree.
I have one of these http://www.lowes.com/pd_167509-47166-73368_0__?productId=3468001 in my bedroom that I'm sold on.

611768073368lg.jpg

dlgoff said:
I agree.
I have one of these http://www.lowes.com/pd_167509-47166-73368_0__?productId=3468001 in my bedroom that I'm sold on.

611768073368lg.jpg

There you go. Mine has the older stye switches for the different wattage levels and then the "turn knob" for the thermostat.

A couple of these strategically placed in a couple rooms could work wonders in a house. Even keeping the settings low for the wattage and thermostat can make a big difference. Seems like every house has that one or two "colder rooms".

Likes dlgoff
These oil types are much safer IMO, as the heat doesn't get concentrated to one area of the heater.

I am assuming your room has a window? -- perhaps wooden pane - not good condition? If so have you considered Window Film ( http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/NAHomeEnergy/Home/ )

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes dlgoff

What is the difference between two 700 watt blow heaters and one 1500 watt heater?

Two 700 watt blow heaters and one 1500 watt heater are different in terms of the total wattage output. The two 700 watt blow heaters have a combined output of 1400 watts, while the one 1500 watt heater has a single output of 1500 watts.

Which option is more energy efficient?

In terms of energy efficiency, the two 700 watt blow heaters are more efficient than the one 1500 watt heater. This is because the combined output of the two heaters is 1400 watts, which is less than the 1500 watt output of the single heater. This means that the two heaters will use less energy to produce the same amount of heat as the one heater.

Which option will heat up the room faster?

The one 1500 watt heater will heat up the room faster than the two 700 watt blow heaters. This is because it has a higher wattage output, which means it can produce more heat in a shorter amount of time.

Which option is more cost-effective?

In terms of cost, the two 700 watt blow heaters are more cost-effective than the one 1500 watt heater. This is because the two heaters will use less energy to produce the same amount of heat as the one heater, resulting in lower electricity bills.

Can the two options be used together?

Yes, the two 700 watt blow heaters and the one 1500 watt heater can be used together. However, it is important to ensure that each heater is plugged into a separate outlet to avoid overloading the circuit. This can also provide more evenly distributed heat in a larger room.