Two Blocks and a Pulley with Friction

In summary, to determine the coefficient of static friction between the rope and the support and the largest value of mB for which equilibrium is maintained, the forces on Block A and B were calculated and the equation T2 = T1e^(μsβ) was used to find the static friction. The correct value for mB was found by dividing the calculated value by the sine of the angle between the cable and the incline.
. Arctic.

Homework Statement

Blocks A and B are connected by a cable that passes over support C. Friction between the blocks and the inclined surfaces may be neglected. Knowing that motion of block B up the incline is impending when mB = 4.5 kg, determine:

(a) the coefficient of static friction between the rope and the support
(b) the largest value of mB for which equilibrium is maintained

Homework Equations

T2 = T1e^(μsβ) (1)
β is in angle in radians
W = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is that for part (b), my answer is wrong. I would like to know where I went wrong in my calculations. Thanks for the help in advance.

I found the forces working on Block A
ƩFx = 0
→ TA - WAsin(16) = 0
TA = 24.336 N

Then, Block B
ƩFx = 0
→ WBsin(16) - TB = 0
TB = 12.168 N

Then, I looked at support C where I found the angle to be 32°, and I used (1) to find the static friction.
β = (32)(∏/180) ≈ 0.559
TA = TBe^(μsβ)
24.336 N = (12.168 N)e^(μsβ)
e^(μsβ) = (24.336 N)/(12.168 N)
μsβ = ln [(24.336 N)/(12.168 N)]
μs = (1/0.559)*ln [(24.336 N)/(12.168 N)]
μs ≈ 1.240

Then, since I know TB has to be greater than itself to upset the equilibrium, I did

TB = TAe^(μsβ)
TB = (24.336 N)e^[(1.240)(0.559)]
TB ≈ 48.673 N

Then, to get the mass I divided the TB by g = 9.81

mB = (48.673)/(9.81) ≈ 4.962 kg

That is wrong.

Attachments

• CAM00134.jpg
    CAM00134.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 503
  • CAM00139.jpg
    CAM00139.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 488
Physics news on Phys.org
. Arctic. said:
Then, to get the mass I divided the TB by g = 9.81
mB = (48.673)/(9.81) ≈ 4.962 kg
You forgot that the mass isn't hanging straight down.

I just tried multiplying it by sin(16), which of course didn't work, but dividing by it sure did work. Thanks.

What is a two blocks and a pulley with friction system?

A two blocks and a pulley with friction system is a physics problem where two blocks are connected by a rope that runs over a pulley. The blocks are subjected to friction as they slide on a horizontal surface. This system is commonly used in physics experiments to study the effects of friction on motion.

What is the purpose of studying this system?

The purpose of studying a two blocks and a pulley with friction system is to understand the principles of friction and how it affects the motion of objects. This system can also help in understanding concepts like net force, acceleration, and equilibrium.

How do you calculate the acceleration of the blocks in this system?

The acceleration of the blocks can be calculated using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this system, the net force is the difference between the tension in the rope and the force of friction. By solving for the acceleration, the motion of the blocks can be determined.

What factors can affect the acceleration of the blocks in this system?

The acceleration of the blocks in a two blocks and a pulley with friction system can be affected by several factors, such as the mass of the blocks, the coefficient of friction between the blocks and the surface, and the tension in the rope. The angle of the incline where the blocks are placed can also affect the acceleration.

How can friction be reduced in this system?

Friction can be reduced in a two blocks and a pulley with friction system by using lubricants on the surface where the blocks are sliding, or by using materials with lower coefficients of friction for the blocks. Additionally, increasing the tension in the rope can also help to reduce the effects of friction on the motion of the blocks.